Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Old Fitgerald Stitzler Weller pre 1964

Hey guys - I have been a bourbon man for most of my life, and have quite a few under my belt , I am always looking for the One. Every Friday a couple of us get together for some searching of new ,and some past bourbons. A few weeks back we were contemplating the universe with some good pours, and it hit me.. I have this collection of old mini's and said hey I wonder what these would taste like? So I decided to pop one, my first choice .. old fitz bib from the SW distillery '69 '70 ish. Upon the pour and our first nose of it we both looked at each other and said Wow ,after holding back for a few minutes to let it breath after it's long hibernation we took a sip, and again we both were blown away.. I had found the ONE. We cherished that stuff for the rest of the evening. So that changed my course and am now on the hunt for the old stuff or dusty's. My next score was ET Kentucky straight bourbon 1969 ish 6 quart bottles all nice and full .. great stuff! 1 of which is almost gone already. Which brings me to my latest find,although not in my hands as of yet.. a quart of old fitz again but this is the sour mash version by SW pre 1964! It has some evap loss, and it wasn't cheap ($50). But I'm going for it anyway, if it is anything like the previous one I had, I hit the jackpot.Just wondering if anyone out there has had the opportunity to sample these 2 versions from that same era,and how they compare to each other.
    Last edited by dSculptor; 01-10-2014 at 10:12.

Disciple

Re: Old Fitgerald Stizler Weller pre 1964

STITZEL-Weller bottles from that era are pretty beloved. What are the details on the bottle you found?
    Jim

Enthusiast

old fitz.jpg here's a pic of it - the evap loss has me a bit concerned but even if it is not good -I like the bottle itself.

Guru

Even if its not good?

Virtuoso

$50 is actually incredibly cheap for that bottle, assuming it's the real deal.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

I'd make darn sure the seal on the cap doesn't just slide right off-- looks like someone might have already had a taste!

Guru

Cheap in our current collector driven skewered market. I would pass on it for drinking though, this is one of the lower proof, lesser age versions of the Stitzel-Weller brands and I would be concerned about that fill level.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

First I have to get it in my hands, then decide about cracking it -although I pretty much already know that answer! It's 92 proof not that low... I do like mine around 100.

Enthusiast

Well guys - this was a mute thread, never count your chickens before they hatch! My old fitz bottle has fell thru - apparently the wife does not want to part with it at this time for "sentimental reasons" Oh well keep searching...

Guru

I believe the 5 year olds were sold at 90 proof but that bottle may have been a disappointment anyway, low fill levels are not to be trusted.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.