Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Home blending

Guru

Re: Home blending

Entry level but fully mature, rounded, balanced and sophisticated as well. A good example of the value in Bourbon because if this were a Scotch it would cost twice as much.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Apprentice

Thanks, never tried the yellow label. Have 2 others open on the bar now. Single barrel and 100 proof variety.

Have you tried Black Maple Hill (8yr)? Good stuff when you can find some.

Guru

Haven't had Black Maple Hill since it was a 16 year age stated. Tried a couple bottles (the second to confirm the impressions of the first) but found I preferred younger Bourbon, particularly the 10 year Very Old Heaven Hill BIB which was less woody and far cheaper. The owner of a liquor store in Bardstown pointed me toward the Heaven Hill when I was buying the Black Maple Hill, saying it was the same whisky anyway.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    I recently did 50:50 WT101 w/ WTRRSmBSB
    I assume that this is some form of WT Russell's Reserve...what does the rest of the abbreviation stand for?

Can we get this added to the abbreviation list?

Enthusiast

SmBSB = small batch single barrel. What it says on the label.

Guru

Small Batch Single Barrel is for the slow witted among us who don't get what they're talking about is whisky whisky.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Merrymash Monk View Post
    I find the OFS especially dangerously drinkable at 100 proof. At least the WT101 gives it some more heat and that makes me want to slow the sipping down. Some water seems to bring out more overall flavor and stretch things out a bit. But as you know the water or not to water question is always a very personal taste kind of thing.
    OFS is one of my favorites, so I will need to try this one. Someone else here mentioned Ritt BiB with OFS, and I have really enjoyed that at about 70/30. I was surprised how little of the OFS it took for the flavor to start coming through.

One thing I noticed while I was playing around with this, is that higher rye blends seem to need less resting time. A day old sample tasted almost identical to one mixed in the glass. I tried adding Larceny to SB blend in a few ratios, and it seems like that needed about a week to settle down.

It could just be my mind playing tricks on me, but it seems like wheated blends seem to improve over time, while high rye blends taste great immediately. I like to try using a couple whiskies in an old fashioned, and my notes seem to back this up.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
    OFS is one of my favorites, so I will need to try this one. Someone else here mentioned Ritt BiB with OFS, and I have really enjoyed that at about 70/30. I was surprised how little of the OFS it took for the flavor to start coming through.

One thing I noticed while I was playing around with this, is that higher rye blends seem to need less resting time. A day old sample tasted almost identical to one mixed in the glass. I tried adding Larceny to SB blend in a few ratios, and it seems like that needed about a week to settle down.

It could just be my mind playing tricks on me, but it seems like wheated blends seem to improve over time, while high rye blends taste great immediately. I like to try using a couple whiskies in an old fashioned, and my notes seem to back this up.
    OFS reminds me of Ritt BIB in that it has that big furniture polish (in a good way) nose and entry. They have some pretty common characteristics but have some individual ones too- so I imagine they'd play nicely together. Would like to try that combo.

Interesting you should say higher rye bourbons don't need as much time to breathe and mingle. I've noticed that when I drink rye whiskey, the taste and nose changes after the bottle has been open much quicker than bourbon does. It seems to react more with the air, at least that's my perception.

Connoisseur

Hello all, new around here. Based on an idea I stole from Ralfy, I recently began creating my own solera bourbon blend. My intent is to have this for the rest of my life. To leave to my kids, grandkids, or whoever wants it. Basically, I measure out an ounce or two at a time of bourbons I really like and put them into a new bottle to marry. The idea is that I keep track of each bourbon added (vintage/year, age, proof, etc) along with amount and date added. As I haven't been doing this for very long, you'll have to excuse me for having a fairly lame vatting so far: 1oz old forester 75th anniversary repeal of prohibition, 2oz Four Roses SB, 2oz Stagg Jr, and 2oz William Larue Weller (2013). I've got this mixture hanging out in the used up bottle of Old Forester 75th. Once it does that, I'll move it to an empty 750ml bottle. That's the biggest bottle I've got, so at that point I'll replace each dram I take out of it ounce-for-ounce with fresh bourbon. Should be interesting, though I have a feeling I'm going to have to sample it diligently to keep it from getting over-oaked from some of the older bourbons I've bunkered.

My inspiration for this project:

Guru

Let us know how that turns out garbanzobean! I've tried mingles of several bourbons, and not had great luck. If I had to guess, I'd say half I thought I liked less than the components themselves, 40% I liked equally as well, and only a couple did I think were greater than the sum of the parts (although none of mine were of the quality you're using, which I'm sure makes a difference!)
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins