Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Home blending

Disciple

Re: Home blending

While SB Blend is probably my favorite, I have a few others that I enjoy periodically.

OGD114/Ritt BIB...usually 2:1 bourbon to rye
    WT101/WTR101...2:1 bourbon to rye
    ECBP/EC12...ratio varies

Connoisseur

Was looking forward to 60/40 SB Blend this winter... but OWA seems to have gone extinct out here.

I do plan on doing some trials with EW bonded, 1783, and EWB sometime soon.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

[QUOTE=Tony Santana;388016] How long do you folks think a blend needs to sit before it's reached an optimal state for drinking?

My son Gary and I did a side-by-side-by-side-by-side test tasting of an identical blend at an hour (I think), a day, a week and 2-weex.
    As far as we could determine, the only noticed difference was between the one-hour and any of the others. So, from that experience we concluded that long waits aren't necessary for home vatting. Now others may have different opinions, and/or more discriminating palates and, therefor give different advice.

Taster

I've blended barrel proof versions of Four Roses Yellow Label and Four Roses Small Batch with pretty good results. I ordered all the bottles from Party Source.

The Voshole

Every once in awhile I'll think about blending something...... anything...... with my batch 1 Cody Road to make it drinkable. Then I come to my senses and realize nothing will ever help that bottle (and yet I can't get myself to throw it out )
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    Every once in awhile I'll think about blending something...... anything...... with my batch 1 Cody Road to make it drinkable. Then I come to my senses and realize nothing will ever help that bottle (and yet I can't get myself to throw it out )
    You ever do any grilling in the winter?I would highly recommend it as a lighter fluid substitute.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Taster

[QUOTE=Richnimrod;388055]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Santana View Post
    How long do you folks think a blend needs to sit before it's reached an optimal state for drinking?

My son Gary and I did a side-by-side-by-side-by-side test tasting of an identical blend at an hour (I think), a day, a week and 2-weex.
    As far as we could determine, the only noticed difference was between the one-hour and any of the others. So, from that experience we concluded that long waits aren't necessary for home vatting. Now others may have different opinions, and/or more discriminating palates and, therefor give different advice.
    I only waited about 10-15 minutes after pouring my OFSignature/WT101 in a glass and adding a splash of water. Maybe waiting a full hour would help like you did, just to have the air open things up a bit. I can't imagine how putting them away for awhile in a bottle would change much, except if they are decanted to get more air, which might make things better or worse.
    Last edited by Merrymash Monk; 12-21-2013 at 20:19.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Haven't had the Coady but I've read taste descriptions that give me a good idea what it is like.

You could blend it 50/50 with an assertive oaky, high-strength bourbon, Rare Breed say, or maybe 1:2 Coady to RB would be better. (Or use virtually any other bourbon or rye that is strong and reasonably aged).

This would make a great base for a Manhattan or any other whiskey cocktail, or whiskey-and-Coke.

Or, blend it with a group of three or four bourbons or ryes to probably about 20% of the total. 10-15% might be better. You can do this in the glass. It is surprising how good a taste you can get in this way and no one would ever know that a young whiskey is in there but it contributes its qualities all the same.

Gary

Guru

[QUOTE=Merrymash Monk;388162]
    Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post

I only waited about 10-15 minutes after pouring my OFSignature/WT101 in a glass and adding a splash of water. Maybe waiting a full hour would help like you did, just to have the air open things up a bit. I can't imagine how putting them away for awhile in a bottle would change much, except if they are decanted to get more air, which might make things better or worse.
    I've done mingles in the glass without waiting more than a couple of minutes. It took some planning (several weeks obviously!) to arrange, and as Richnimrod stated - the youngest is the only one that stood out as materially different. In fact, we were trying to guess them in terms of age (assuming the ones we liked best would be the oldest), and I think we picked the 1 day old over the 2 week, and then the 1 week. The aging apparently does allow the different chemicals more time to do their thing, but the way I look at it - if I mingle and pour and like - I'm apt to like the rest even more after some time!

By the way - my dad did the same mingle based on your recommendation (and I think it was under a day, but a couple hours), and I really liked it! Looking forward to trying it again on a fresh palate, but it was quite enjoyable!!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Taster

[QUOTE=darylld911;388222]
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrymash Monk View Post

I've done mingles in the glass without waiting more than a couple of minutes. It took some planning (several weeks obviously!) to arrange, and as Richnimrod stated - the youngest is the only one that stood out as materially different. In fact, we were trying to guess them in terms of age (assuming the ones we liked best would be the oldest), and I think we picked the 1 day old over the 2 week, and then the 1 week. The aging apparently does allow the different chemicals more time to do their thing, but the way I look at it - if I mingle and pour and like - I'm apt to like the rest even more after some time!

By the way - my dad did the same mingle based on your recommendation (and I think it was under a day, but a couple hours), and I really liked it! Looking forward to trying it again on a fresh palate, but it was quite enjoyable!!
    I did a 2:1 small Vat of the OFS/WT101 in a bottle just to see if it makes a difference over time. We'll see as I'll probably sip some this evening.