Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home blending

Taster

Re: Home blending

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    The blend popular here on SB is known as the "SB Blend". Equal parts Weller 12 and Old Weller Antique.

I did it once and it was great stuff. Would like to do it again now that I think about it. Strangely enough I can get the Weller 12, it's the OWA that has become hard to find around here...
    This SB blend is a good example of checking out how putting together different ages of the same or similar recipes turns out: A little different spin on trying to balance two very different whiskeys, but one that can prove interesting to see how combining different ages turns out.

What is even stranger is that although I got a bottle of WL Weller from the BTAC, I can't find any Weller 12 around here.

Taster

Well after vatting for about 5 hours, I must say that the blend does taste even better: more integrated, opened up a bit, and the finish is softer. Not sure about the chemistry involved: whether its a matter of the bourbons having more time to mingle together, or if its the additional air exposure or what, but must say that it does pay to mix them in a bottle and leave them for awhile.

Guru

I fully subscribe to that theory, gumbo is always better the next day.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

I made a blend this evening that I will call "Junior & Senior." It is 60% Old Grand Dad 80 proof and 40% Stagg Jr. It turned out really nicely with lots of dryness and some good herbal and coffee notes. You can go to 50/50 for a bit more thickness and spice.

If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I fully subscribe to that theory, gumbo is always better the next day.
    and chili!...................

Novice

I really enjoy a 50:50 blend of Eagle Rare 10yo and Angel's Envy. ER10 is a good, solid bourbon, but not all that complex. Angel's Envy has some nice sweetness and wine notes but otherwise is too light and thin for my tastes. The combination has body, depth and a complex finish. Much better than either whiskey alone.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DaveU View Post
    I really enjoy a 50:50 blend of Eagle Rare 10yo and Angel's Envy. ER10 is a good, solid bourbon, but not all that complex. Angel's Envy has some nice sweetness and wine notes but otherwise is too light and thin for my tastes. The combination has body, depth and a complex finish. Much better than either whiskey alone.
    I'll have to try that. I have both. Thanks for sharing.
    - H

Had an open HH Gold bonded that I didn't care for much as a sipper, had a new bottle of Old HH 8/86. Took a recently emptied handle and dumped the liter of 8/86 in and filled the rest up with the bonded. Hoping it will be a nice sipper but if not will use it up in some Manhattan's. Hoping it takes the roughness off the bonded.

Connoisseur

Tonight I opened up my trial of your creation, Monk. My son, Gary and I both agree: it's excellent!
    One of those few that seem to exceed the sum of the parts (WT101/OFS), both of which are nice pours already.
    It is dangerously drinkable at 100+ proof, and has a very full palate with a really nice mouthfeel.
    Thanx! & GOOD JOB Buddy!

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I made a blend this evening that I will call "Junior & Senior." It is 60% Old Grand Dad 80 proof and 40% Stagg Jr. It turned out really nicely with lots of dryness and some good herbal and coffee notes. You can go to 50/50 for a bit more thickness and spice.
    It would never occur to me to blend a Stagg with anything since its such a HUGE bourbon to begin with. But I'm sure it would help most of the traditional 80 proofers out quite a bit.