Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Home blending

Taster

Re: Home blending

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    Tonight I opened up my trial of your creation, Monk. My son, Gary and I both agree: it's excellent!
    One of those few that seem to exceed the sum of the parts (WT101/OFS), both of which are nice pours already.
    It is dangerously drinkable at 100+ proof, and has a very full palate with a really nice mouthfeel.
    Thanx! & GOOD JOB Buddy!
    I find the OFS especially dangerously drinkable at 100 proof. At least the WT101 gives it some more heat and that makes me want to slow the sipping down. Some water seems to bring out more overall flavor and stretch things out a bit. But as you know the water or not to water question is always a very personal taste kind of thing.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I prefer my SB Blend at a 60/40 ratio, heavy on the OWA over Weller 12. I've tried subbing Larceny in for the W12, and while drinkable not nearly as nice. I'm experimenting with some mingles of OGD 114 and Ritt BIB (different ratios to find what I like). Other than the SB Blend, I typically don't vat a large quantity of others - but I have fun trying different things (and as long as you're having fun, you're doing it right!)

Alton Brown says a 60/40 blend of OWA107 /12 year old Weller. Is a poor mans Pappy Van Winkle. Having never tried Pappy, does any one who has agree?

Connoisseur

(IMHO) If one were to do a side-by-side with these two, it would hardly be a fair comparison, even if the Pappy were "only" the 15-year.... Since more than half of the SB blend would be 7-years old or less. That said, the two pours would be similar enough that most folks would note the similarity. I don't think too many would confuse the two, however.
    Now, if one starts to compare on a price/value basis the differences will likely shrink to insignificance for many folks. IMHO the SB blend is a rather better value and quite a wonderful pour, which I would take hands-down, if I'm the guy pulling out his wallet. ... Just sayin'...

Apprentice

(IMHO) If one were to do a side-by-side with these two, it would hardly be a fair comparison, even if the Pappy were "only" the 15-year.... Since more than half of the SB blend would be 7-years old or less. That said, the two pours would be similar enough that most folks would note the similarity. I don't think too many would confuse the two, however.
    Now, if one starts to compare on a price/value basis the differences will likely shrink to insignificance for many folks. IMHO the SB blend is a rather better value and quite a wonderful pour, which I would take hands-down, if I'm the guy pulling out his wallet. ... Just sayin'...
    I think that is what Alton Brown was talking about. Not an exact match. It works for me.,
    Your price point is right on also. The on PVW I find in the San Francisco bay area ranges from $225 for 10 yr, $250+ for 12 yr. $600+ for 15 yr. ( Craigslist prices) That will buy a lot of Antique and 12 Year.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by buckey48 View Post
    That will buy a lot of Antique and 12 Year.
    You ain't kiddin'!!! And, I will NOT be seeking the "Unicorn" which Pappy has become anytime soon, for the relatively small difference between it and several other pours (like SB blend, for one). Pappy is exceptional Bourbon; but is hardly the only exceptional one, and certainly not one which is easy to come by.

Apprentice

I think I remember someone on this site had blended Larceny with Devils Cut (3 to 1 I think). I tried a 1 to 1 blending and just tasted it last night. I was really surprised at how the Larceny lost its youngish taste. It was super smooth up front with a very comfortable oaky finish that I really enjoyed. The real test will be a re-taste and see if it seems the same.

Apprentice

You ain't kiddin'!!! And, I will NOT be seeking the "Unicorn" which Pappy has become anytime soon, for the relatively small difference between it and several other pours (like SB blend, for one). Pappy is exceptional Bourbon; but is hardly the only exceptional one, and certainly not one which is easy to come by.
    Not counting the SB blend which others do you enjoy?

Enthusiast

My favorite home blend is 4RYL with OGD114 at 60/40. Tastes remarkably like ETL for about half the money.

Apprentice

And 4RYL is what?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by buckey48 View Post
    And 4RYL is what?
    4 Roses Yellow Label - the entry-level 4R expression.