Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Home blending

Virtuoso

Re: Home blending

Those of you at the Sampler last year might remember my wife's Sampler Sampler. She took each of the samples given by the distillers and mixed them in a bottle. I was expecting something horrible from that vatting but it was actually underwhelming. Not bad by any means, but didn't measure up to some of the constituent whiskies. Still, it was a cool little experiment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Advanced Taster

I been doing some blending with the ends of bottles into 2 oz bottles Today I put up a 50/50 blend of Old Scout 6, and Jefferson NHsBSB, and a crazy 1/4 Fighting cock,1/8 Medley 12, 1/8 Forty Creek barrel select, 1/2 Old Scout just because it's what I had. I let them set awhile before I try them.

Ted
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Random mixing will often achieve acceptable results but purposeful vatting - the only kind under discussion really - can achieve superlative ones. A solera where a wide range is added is somewhere in the middle - sometimes it will taste great, sometimes middling but probably never bad.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-11-2014 at 19:01.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    Those of you at the Sampler last year might remember my wife's Sampler Sampler. She took each of the samples given by the distillers and mixed them in a bottle. I was expecting something horrible from that vatting but it was actually underwhelming. Not bad by any means, but didn't measure up to some of the constituent whiskies. Still, it was a cool little experiment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I do remember that! I made a note that if I attend the Sampler again (although I'll need to break a lot of glasses before needing more!) I should bring an empty bottle for just that purpose!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins