Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 202 of 239 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2390
    Enthusiast

Re: What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter '13/'14

Man, its a Booker's night. Roundtable for me tonight.

Guru

Im gonna start with Larceny and see where we go from there....

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    Had another pour of this tonight and it tastes better than ever, phenomenal is the perfect description Tyler. I think it's time for a trip to WI to grab another 1 or 2. Oh wait....I have to go to Milwaukee for work Wednesday. How convenient
    Don't forget to leave some behind for me! I'll be on vacation until Sunday, but first order of business when I'm back is to grab a few more of these.
    Tyler

Connoisseur

EWSB 2002. Just a solid good pour that I enjoy every time.

Guru

So I haven't been drinking much bourbon as of late but receiving this today this was cause for a detour from my Malt & Agave streak:

SB HHSS and yes this is a fine whisky any way you slice it - the cognac influence is subtle but weaves a nice brandy & fruit baseline to support the wheated mashbill's honeyed profile/wood influence/rainier cherries/vanilla frosting/etc., This steady thread then joins at the finish to produce an alluring pineapple note to cap it all off. A big thanks goes out to everybody who had a hand in getting this project into my glass as this bourbon is confidently elegant in its quality.

It's a little on the sweet end of the spectrum (as most bourbons are to my palate) but boy did this hit the spot tonight.
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 03-04-2014 at 00:02.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Dang, I keep reading nothing but amazing things about this HHSS. Those of us who only recently joined the forum really missed out on something special. Very cool that you guys got this together last year.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by flahute View Post
    Dang, I keep reading nothing but amazing things about this HHSS. Those of us who only recently joined the forum really missed out on something special. Very cool that you guys got this together last year.
    I'm sure there will be a bottle @ our next PacNW gathering
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Last night, had some OldFitzBIB followed by WSR7, then a vatting of the two. The vatting was good, but the bolder flavor of the OF stood out a bit too much. I'll try it again at different proportions as the combo shows promise.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Enthusiast

interesting. i've played with OWA and VSOF12 before and didn't like the results nearly as much as the SB blend. I agree that the HH profile really stands out.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    is it really that different from regular Booker's, and if so, how?
    Sure, not that great at notes so i will just say in a side by side i did with a regular bottle i had (few %'s lower in proof than the 25th).....It just tasted better to me.

Why. Sitting there last night i kept being sucked in by the nose once it opened up for a bit. Lots of fudge, not chocolate but dark fudge and it really enhanced the drink for me, made if feel rich and dessert like. Other things were the heat. It can be alot up front, but once it settles it has this fantastic heat that kinda of tingles your mouth and lips, but gives no burning sensation on the way down....again its not just smooth but this spice makes it more rich overall and complex...and finally the oakiness. I go back and forth on how much wood i like to taste, i have to be in the mood for it to really enjoy heavier oak. I think the oak balance in this one is just perfect for my personal tastes. Where with regular Bookers there is not a ton of variation to me, but i have had certain bottles heavier on the oak than others that have led me to use it more for other purposes than just neat......amazing mint julep anyone?

As for the value...eye of the beholder i guess. For me its not so much can i buy an equal or better bottle for cheaper. For me its more I know I really like this, and while i might find others i like equally for cheaper (but may have the option to purchase at a later date).....this specific flavor exists in these 25th bottles so if i can afford it, I'm going to get it while i can.
    Birth, School, Whisk(e)y, Death!