Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Old Weller Antique - Bottle Details Over The Years

It would seem many of you aremissing the fact that several of these are OWO; Old Weller Orginal, not the OWA.

The OWO was an actual SW product and its quite different from the OWA of today, and was always aged stated.,
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Meruck View Post
    The OWO was an actual SW product and its quite different from the OWA of today
    True dat, true dat.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

My laser codes all the Frankfort bottles have 88004 UPC, Louisville are 88076

'05 41680510:14
    '03 0310:15
    '05 41680510:14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virtuoso

Great additions, Randy & Hobie7!

Meruck, I really should've written the title of this thread with 107 in place of the word Antique, but I don't believe anyone here has missed anything. Thanks for pointing that out, though.

Thanks for the extra info, michaelturtle1.

I wonder what year it was that the UPC changed from 88508 to 88076. I have an '86 with 88508 and a '90 with 88076 (will try to post them soon), so the change must've happened sometime between '86 and '90, I'm guessing.
    Last edited by gblick; 12-30-2013 at 20:41.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    I wonder what year it was that the UPC changed from 88508 to 88076. I have an '86 with 88508 and a '90 with 88076 (will try to post them soon), so the change must've happened sometime between '86 and '90, I'm guessing.
    Didn't we already determine that this was dependent on the bottle (1L vs 750mL)? Or are you specifically targeting the Louisville bottles with both SW UPCs?
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    Didn't we already determine that this was dependent on the bottle (1L vs 750mL)? Or are you specifically targeting the Louisville bottles with both SW UPCs?
    Yeah, I was talking about the switch from 88508 to 88076 on the earlier Louisville bottlings (presumably sometime between '86 and '90). It was later ('98-'99)* when the UPC changed from 88076 to 88004. All this, judging only by bottles that I have or have seen posted in this thread. *I think those Liter bottles with 96 on the bottom and the 88004 UPC must've actually been bottled around '98 (possibly even '99), since all the other (non-Liter) bottlings I've seen still had a UPC of 88076 up until 1999. Another strange thing about those 96 Liter bottles with the 88004 UPC is that they used a different rear label than any other bottlings that I've seen, more generic with only a govt warning and no 'story' or volume stated on it.

Does anyone know the reason for the UPC prefix changes, was it because of changes in ownership or where the barrels were distilled or bottled or other reasons? Just curious about it is all.
    Last edited by gblick; 12-31-2013 at 12:55.

Enthusiast

So, in the spirit of the thread,

My best (I hope) bottle of OW- is a very early rendition. Foil cap, cork top OWO. The bottle has the embossment "....aginst federal law to refill.....", gold veined, tax stamp etc.

No. G4839 on the label, back label signed by Jr. so it pretty well dates it self.

Dam near ready to open it now, ..........................IMG-20131231-00205.jpg
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Advanced Taster

beautiful bottle! Have gotten the nerve to open mine yet

Enthusiast

As a total aside, this thread made me pay closer attention to all of my bottles. I realized that my Centennials from Frankfort are in bottled with a statement that they are intended for export to the UK embossed in the glass on the bottom of the bottle
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Guru

Does it say "for export?" I have some gold wax ETLs from the early 2000's that are in the same type of UK liquor bottle. I'll have to check, but I thought they were just made in the UK, not destined for the UK.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 01-01-2014 at 11:59.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.