Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Whisky Advocate Distillery of the Year?

I love small and independent as much as the next guy, or gal, but Diageo does do amazing things. They make a lot, truly a lot, of good whisky and it is readily available in a variety of places. I can go into any hotel bar anywhere in the US and order a Talisker - it's good whisky at a reasonable price. I don't think we should disqualify a company just because they are large but I too would like to see an award for a single distillery recognizing the work of a particular place and staff.

Trippah and Admin

We appreciate you taking the time to respond, John. Industry interaction is what makes SB special and we would love to see even more.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    We appreciate you taking the time to respond, John. Industry interaction is what makes SB special and we would love to see even more.
    I check in regularly, and speak when I feel like I have something worthy to say. This is a great whiskey community, and I'm happy to be part of it (even if it is not as much as I would like).

Cheers!
    Last edited by JohnHansell; 12-28-2013 at 19:38.
    Publisher and Editor of Whisky Advocate magazine.

Guru

Well, you're always welcome.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post
    I'm not emotional about it either way, but when I saw Diageo given Distiller of the Year, it lowered my interest in the contents of the article and lowered my respect for Whisky Advocate regardless of their justification...
    It had the opposite effect for me. If John gives award to Diageo, I think it's time for me to re-appraise the company and see what else they are doing.

Guru

Somebody told me once that Diageo is like that crazy ex-girlfriend: You try to avoid her but d@mn if the sex isn't mind-blowing!

While there are some things about Diageo that I don't like, they do put out some of the best whisky in the world...
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

I guess I'm in the minority that I don't care if the distiller isn't the cool kid on the block or may be the big company. I just care about what my tastebuds tell me. I like happen to like many of the Wild Turkey offerings. I know it won't make me awesome like Pappy Van Winkle, but I'd rather drink what taste good than feel "cool" when I drink it. Same goes with Scotch. I don't care if it's rare or if it's Glenmorangie (one of my favorites). If I like it, that's what matters. Props to Diageo for doing some fantastic things.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Somebody told me once that Diageo is like that crazy ex-girlfriend: You try to avoid her but d@mn if the sex isn't mind-blowing!

While there are some things about Diageo that I don't like, they do put out some of the best whisky in the world...
    Now that's a sentiment I like.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    It had the opposite effect for me. If John gives award to Diageo, I think it's time for me to re-appraise the company and see what else they are doing.
    I admit I don't know the details of Diageo's corporate inner workings, but I see them as a business that generates revenue regardless of the product being sold... It could be scotch, bourbon, toilet paper, wine, market branding or dish soap. Unless I'm mistaken, Diageo "corporate" doesn't have a master distiller on their payroll, so can they accurately be labeled a distiller?

Specific to distilling, Diageo is responsible for gin, rum, liqueur, vodka, scotch, bourbon, rye and more. Being awarded distiller of the year should take into account everything under their control, yet I didn't see any mention of their other distilling operations.

I don't disagree that they have done some amazing things in the whisky world, I just don't subscribe to what is essentially a holding company getting recognition for the actual work of distilling a great whisky. That magic is done by folks way under the suits at Diageo and my opinion is that a distillery should be the one recognized.

I very much respect John's work in the industry and with Whisky Advocate. He is publishing to a far broader audience than us fanatics at SB.com and elsewhere which is why I said the content about Diageo's role is worthwhile, I just wish it was presented differently so I could read about the people, the history and the process of a distillery (of the year) and not a corporation.

Guru

Well at least we should give props to the Diageo "suits" for not changing any of their bourbons to NAS yet.