Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 125 1231151101 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

What Bourbon did you purchase today? Winter '13-'14

The Winter Drinking Thread was started, but not the Purchased, so I'll start it now.

I couldn't resist when I got the call and went for a Pappy 15. Picked it up today with the Fireball, which is like drinking Red Hots candy.
    Also picked up my HHSS SB bottles. I also recommended 4R Sm B to a customer wandering the Bourbon aisle; he seemed to appreciate the advice and I'm pretty sure he bought it.

Here's the BT buffalo watching my Pappy 15 while waiting for Joe to bring my HHSS.

Last edited by bigtoys; 12-23-2013 at 20:15.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Connoisseur

Re: What Bourbon did you purchase today? Winter '13-'14

Did a little 'dusty hunting' with my son, Gary today. I managed a few slightly aged Old Foresters, and one handle of OF that seems to be from mid-to-late-eighties (tax stamp, no gov't warning) along with a WT-101 that Gary thinks may be from the early 2000's ('01-'04?). He picked up a WT-101 that's a little older.
    Was some fun, and worth the effort, especially since it was some time we were able to spend together, "just the guys".
    Whenever I open the 'handle' I'll post about how it is.

Novice

i still consider myself pretty new to bourbon all together. i have found some great bottles throughout these 10 or so months. so today i found my first ever PAPPY VAN WINKLE! 15 year nevertheless, the one i really desired. maybe because its the only one ive ever tasted due to all the built up hype ive heard about the 20 or 23. i still feel numb!!! is this normal??? some thoughts on when you've found that "special bottle"...?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by wheater74 View Post
    i still consider myself pretty new to bourbon all together. i have found some great bottles throughout these 10 or so months. so today i found my first ever PAPPY VAN WINKLE! 15 year nevertheless, the one i really desired. maybe because its the only one ive ever tasted due to all the built up hype ive heard about the 20 or 23. i still feel numb!!! is this normal??? some thoughts on when you've found that "special bottle"...?
    I remember my first pappy.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bingstein View Post
    Don't we all??!! Even though I am still new to bourbon crowd, nothing beats that feeling you get when you score bottles of something for the first time. To me it doesn't matter if it is Pappy or ECBP, it is a joyous moment when you realize you are going to be drinking some fine liquor.

Enthusiast

3x ECBP 133.2
    PHC 6th batch 1 - thanks to a very kind SB.com member
    Abraham Bowman Pioneer Spirit 147.5 hazmat (if only to say I tried it, then pass off to "friends" if it is unfavorable ) - also thanks to a SB.com member

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DBM View Post
    3x ECBP 133.2
    PHC 6th batch 1 - thanks to a very kind SB.com member
    Abraham Bowman Pioneer Spirit 147.5 hazmat (if only to say I tried it, then pass off to "friends" if it is unfavorable ) - also thanks to a SB.com member
    What did you pay for the ECBP? I picked up one locally for around $60 after our taxes and was fairly pleased with that. I may go back for the second bottle tomorrow (they were limit 1)

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bingstein View Post
    As do I. I still remember where it was sitting on the shelf and that my fiancé had to twist my arm/force me to fork out $52 to buy it. Hindsight!

I actually still have the bottle, an unopened Pappy 15 from 2008.

Guru

Several bottles of a local store pick of EWSB 2013. Seems to be a good barrel and I already had some labels made up on the Bardstown Whiskey Society webpage to go on EWSB 2013 bottles as gifts. Since I know this barrel is good I don't have to worry about which barrel to get! But it has sold quickly and there were only a few bottles left!
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 12-24-2013 at 13:38.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Several bottles of a local store pick of EWSB 2013. Seems to be a good barrel and I already had some labels made up on the Bardstown Whiskey Society webpage to go on EWSB 2013 bottles as gifts. Since I know this barrel is good I don't have to worry about which barrel to get! But it has sold quickly and there were only a few bottles left!
    If you're in the Christmas spirit, as someone who just started working in ATL and loves a good store pick, I'd love to pick one up. I know people are shy about publicizing their good finds, but if you'd want to send me a message with that store name in it, I'd be very appreciative