Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 33 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What Bourbon did you purchase today? Winter '13-'14

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    you've refused to listen to anyone about anything
    Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    Same tired shit as always
    Thanks for making my point.

Joe didn't tell you that you shouldn't have bought that Dickel. Once, it was an expensive bottle you had never tried. You bought it then. Joe just suggested that you should give OESO the same chance. He was being nice. You instantly turned it into an argument. You even decided to argue with Scott.

I'm done with this. If you want some Four Roses samples shoot me a PM. If you want to make a thousand more uninformed posts, don't expect that many of us will like them.
    Last edited by HighInTheMtns; 01-16-2014 at 14:38.
    Jim

Enthusiast

Joe didn't tell you that you shouldn't have bought that Dickel. Once, it was an expensive bottle you had never tried. You bought it then. Joe just suggested that you should give OESO the same chance. He was being nice. You instantly turned it into an argument. You even decided to argue with Scott.

I'm done with this. If you want some Four Roses samples shoot me a PM. If you want to make a thousand more uninformed posts, don't expect that many of us will like them.
    I agree with foureyedfox 100%. However, I am willing to change my tune if anyone wants to prove me wrong by sending me any recipe barrel proof Four Roses. To be on the safe side, send at least a couple bottles of each. I can can pre-pay all costs up front to make it easier.

Now I dare someone to prove me wrong. Preferable more than one.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    You hate Weller Centennial and want to send all of yours to Lexington.
    I almost spit out my coffee, Sean!

^This is the short and sweet right here.

Doug, I really HATED the standard small batch when I first tried it and thought all of these guys here just liked really weird floral/astringent bourbon. Maybe a week after I tried the regular SmB I passed on bottles of the 2011 and 2012 SmB LE. I posted that I passed on them because I didn't like the regular SmB "so why would I waste $80 on stuff I don't like?" It was quickly, and very accurately, pointed out to me that the LE's don't taste anything like the standard offerings and that I should give one a shot.

Remember Doug, at this point I'm just like you, I don't like the SmB or SB much at all (if any.)

I picked up the 2011 SmB LE and LOVED it. It was nothing like the standard SmB or SB and I was shocked at how different they were. I promptly went back to get more of the 2011 and was "stuck" having to get a few of the 2012 SmB because they didn't have any more of the 2011 on the shelf.

I have since tried a few of the barrel proof private selections that have been great so far. To me, they are all different from the standard offerings which I have grown to like, but not prefer.

We are all here because of our love for our native spirit and I was just suggesting something that I thought YOU would like. The OESO is sweet, caramel and fruit goodness. The OBSK that Jim suggested has a spicy punch that will pop in your mouth. A good recommendation for you too since you like Booker's heat. Both suggestions point out the wide range of flavors that Four Roses can put out with their variety of yeasts and mashbills.

I will also be glad to give you some samples Doug.

...back on topic. I finally found some WTAS at a decent price!
    Last edited by smknjoe; 01-16-2014 at 14:23.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

youre thanking yourself for making your own point?

Enthusiast

I picked up a couple handles of paper label Weller SR yesterday. They are probably some of the last age stated bottles, but the bottom of the bottle says 84 so I am going to pretend they are SW.

The first one I cracked open was better than I remembered it being, so these should keep me pretty happy for the next couple months.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Disciple

Edited for understanding. Doug, you're a smart guy, don't resort to being pedantic. I'd really be happy to hook you up with some samples, of FR among other things.
    Jim

Enthusiast

No, he was just reminding us of his previous statement, which you went on to prove true.

The whole point is that Joe was urging you to give some different Four Roses products a chance, because they lined up with your stated preferences and were the same price as your last purchase. No one ever chastised you for purchasing Dickel, they were just encouraging you to try something fits your preferred profile.

Enthusiast

I didn't even know his name was Doug. I just think of him as the dude with the blond bikini avatar who likes KC, Bookers and Dickel. And I honestly don't care if he likes Four Roses or not.

Although as a general rule, I think we should all be open to new experiences. Which is why I'm going to find that store with the Dickel 9/103 and buy a bottle, $44 price be damned. There, that's my attempt to kind of get the thread back on track. Parenthetically, I'll note I'd love to get my hands on some 4R besides the basic YL, SmB and 1B (not that I don't like those). Geez, do I have to travel to Kentucky to find any?

Connoisseur

Bought an old bottle of Very Old Barton. I put some pics in the dusty section, but as best I can tell, it's from around 2008. Thought it would be fun to try for a 20 considering all the Barton outrage of late.

Enthusiast

Bought a bottle of bmh orange label yesterday, probably open it tomorrow night, anyone had any experience with it before? Also I'm not a big fan of blended whisky,but on my hunt I came across what the owner said was old stock of William Penn, they found hidden upstairs,@ $7.50 a bottle ,it didn't look to be that old at all.. maybe early 2009 or so, anyone ever try that stuff - I passed on it.
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don