Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Newbie from Northern Indiana

Just wanted to make a quick post and say hello to everyone, I am from North Manchester, Indiana and I am fairly new to the joys of whiskey sipping. Started a few months ago and I have been really enjoying the different tastes out there. Hope to continue my education and share some of my experiences with all of you in the future. If there are any bourbon groups around Ft Wayne or Warsaw area, I would love to meet some others that enjoy sipping bourbons as well.

Akal

Guru

Re: Newbie from Northern Indiana

Good morning Akal, welcome aboard.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Hello from southern Indiana. Glad to have you. Keep your eye on the Bourbon Social Thread. It seems every couple of months there is and Indy get together of members. It's always a lot of fun and a great way to put a face with name. Cheers.

Connoisseur

Welcome, Akal! My Brother used to live in/near Logansport. I've been by and/or thru "For Twayne" (as he called it) a few times, as has my other Brother. Don't know about the social/whiskey groups there, however. I have seen a few comments from other Hoosiers, and it seems some are active, and likely to be up for get-togethers, so, if you're looking for such, you can post in the "Bourbon Social" area and see who responds. Good Luck.... & HAVE FUN!!!

Guru

Welcome from Georgia! Glad to have you! What are some of your current likes/dislikes?
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Thanks for the warm welcome all. Currently I am working my way through a regular bottle of Buffalo Trace, just finished up Angel's Envy and Knobb Creek. I am sticking with the cheaper things until I get a good feel for the tasting. I have read often that it is best to start with the more standard expressions before delving into the special things. Any recommendations after this one? I was thinking Eagle Rare 10 yr old. Although tonight I am drinking a bit of scotch the boss got me... pretty good stuff. Oban 14 or something like that.

Guru

My recommendation is to buy everything you can find in 50 mL that looks interesting. Great way to try several things without breaking the bank or having bottles laying around you don't care for. If you like Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare is probably a safe bet - although there are plenty of tasty bottles cheaper than both. I do agree that it's best to at least taste through the widely available labels to find what you like or don't like (at least that way when you taste something harder to come by you'll have more of a frame of reference and can determine value yourself). The journey is a lot of fun!!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Thanks Darylld911. I plan on sampling a lot of things, just need to find some decent stores in the Ft Wayne area, that have a good selection.

Disciple

Welcome from Monticello. I do most of my shopping in Lafayette ot Indy since my usualy outlet stopped shipping, so I really can't help much in the Ft. Fun area. Welcome aboard!

Howdy, and welcome akalukz.

Glad you posted BB. I was gonna mention to akalukz that there was another member in the somewhat general area, but couldn't remember your name. BB has some good advice. Traveling to Indy or Lafayette might be your best bet. I'm not familiar with any stores in Lafayette, but I know Indy has some very good ones. I'm also not familiar with any stores in Ft. Wayne, so you're on your own there. I will say there aren't many stores along US 30 that have anything much other than what I refer to as "the usual suspects". IIRC, there was one place in Valpo that wasn't too bad. I've also been to Wabash Liquors, and it seemed like a fairly decent store. I'm guessing you've probably been there.

If it sounds like I'm familiar with your area, I am. I've been to North Manchester more than a few times. I was actually there this past April as a matter of fact. Liquid Assets seems like a decent store. Stopped in there a few times. The owner/manager seems like a good guy. Maybe check with him to see if he can try and special order something for you. FWIW, I was also a little surprised to see that the Eel River Package Store had closed. From the sign that was on the door, I take it that Liquid Assets either purchased their stock, or owned that store too?

Anyway, once again welcome, and cheers to you!

Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"