Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello from Colorado

I'm new to bourbon tasting although I'm not new to drinking it. Started with Jack Black and worked my way up(?) to Makers Mark and tried some Wild Turkey the other day. I picked up a bottle of Jim Beam white, and compared to the three previously mentioned spirits I really hated it. So, I am learning, and I also realize it's all very personal. One of the reasons I'm here is to find out what I should try next. Jack Black is good, while the Makers Mark is a bit smoother and more complex (to me). I find the Wild Turkey to be a bit sweeter and very smooth but not as "tasty" as the Makers Mark.

I live in a resort and the prices here are very high, so I'm looking for Bourbons that are reasonably priced. That said, I'm not against spending a bit more to see what's out there. Any ideas?

Guru

Re: Hello from Colorado

Welcome...I would suggest Weller Special Reserve, Larceny, or Old Weller Antique if you like wheated bourbon (Makers). Try some Evan Williams if you like JD. You are right that taste is a personal thing. I would take Jim Beam white label over Jack Daniel's any day.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Virtuoso

Welcome aboard!

If you enjoy MM, you may want to try the Maker's 46. Weller is also a similar brand (wheaters) that gets a lot of love here, especially the Weller 12 and Old Weller Antique, which are generally available.

Connoisseur

Welcome to the board, Ziggy! Have fun here, and learn (& teach!). Glad to have you around.
    I can highly recommend Old Weller Antique 107, if you like Makers Mark. Larceny is good, too. So is Old Fitzgerald BIB.
    .....Or, try a different take on the theme and go for a non-wheater like Old Forester Signature, or maybe Henry McKenna 10-year BIB.
    In any exploration of your personal tastes, you'll likely find more than one range of flavors appeals.
    The Journey IS the Destination!

Taster

Welcome! If you're living in Colorado try some Stranahan's Whiskey. It's not a bourbon, but it tastes good to me!

Thanks for the recommendations. BTW, I know George Stranahan but I've never tried his Whiskey. I know it ain't cheap, but there are several local brands of spirits around here that get very good reviews. I'm gonna make a list and check all this out at the liquor store. Thanks again.

My dad owned a liquor store, but at that time I was so young and stupid I was more into Boones Farm and getting loaded than "enjoying" different bourbons, and we had some good ones. I kinda blew an opportunity back then.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy925 View Post
    My dad owned a liquor store, but at that time I was so young and stupid I was more into Boones Farm and getting loaded than "enjoying" different bourbons, and we had some good ones. I kinda blew an opportunity back then.
    You're making me cry. That is such a sad and poignant story.

Guru

Hey Ziggy, welcome aboard. I suggest you post a list of what you're interested in among the selection you have there and I'll be happy to make some suggestions off your list.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Good Day and welcome from Michigan.

Not sure about what to try next other than to try as many as you can.

Best regards, Tony

Guru

Welcome from Georgia! I concur with Tony - try 'em all! Well - maybe not "all", but more is better. Only way to know for sure
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins