Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Does shape make a difference?

I never use a rocks glass unless out somewhere's and that's what's handed to me. If in the backyard, or just hangin with a drink for a while, might use glencairn with watch glass cover. Most often use cordials glasses shaped like mini-glencairns.

Thanks for the suggestions and I may have found the perfect glass today at the local kitchen store. It looks like a small, white wine tumbler (no stem). It's fine German crystal, wasn't cheap, and just seems to be the perfect shape for scotch or bourbon. You can swirl it, warm it and it just feels good in your hands. I only got one so guests will have to use the jelly glasses.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy925 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions and I may have found the perfect glass today at the local kitchen store. It looks like a small, white wine tumbler (no stem). It's fine German crystal, wasn't cheap, and just seems to be the perfect shape for scotch or bourbon. You can swirl it, warm it and it just feels good in your hands. I only got one so guests will have to use the jelly glasses.
    Last summer I forgot to pack our Glencairns for the RV trip to Wyoming. Found, however, that stemless wine glasses were quite adequate.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    I prefer the Glencairn then the stemmed Ridel whiskey glass. While on the subject when nosing hold your nose in the glass and inhale through your slightly open mouth.
    Thanks for mentioning the riedels. My wife is a regular wine drinker, and once we discovered how greatly specific riedel wine glasses enhanced our wine drinking, we quickly accumulated a bunch of Vinum XLs of various types. It got me to wondering about non-wine Riedels, so it's good to see your thoughts.

On topic, I typically use some little branded snifters (?) that came w/ a WTRB I bought in 1995 for my college graduation, or monogrammed rocks glasses that were a gift from my wife a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enthusiast

For casual sipping I generally use the Four Roses freebie glasses as I have more than a dozen. For actual tasting I prefer either a Glencairn or I have some bourbon glasses that came from Crate & Barrel that are similar to the Reidel bourbon glasses. Those are honestly my favorite.

Guru

For tasting I use a very thin walled, tulip shaped wineglass. For everyday drinking I only require the container not leak.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    For tasting I use a very thin walled, tulip shaped wineglass. For everyday drinking I only require the container not leak.
    LOL. Yes, the glass I got has very thin walls. I'm not sure if "thin" is just the nature of expensive glassware, or if the idea is less glass and more booze. It kinda seems like I'm holding the actually drink in my hand and not the glass. Interesting.

Taster

Hi Ziggy,

The Glencairn is now an industry standard, more or less. I recommend all newbies to our hobby own at least one. When tasting a bourbon (or many other spirits) for the first time, it's always in the Glencairn first. You can think of it as a reference point.

Trippah and Admin

I prefer the small heavy bottomed glasse that Four Roses uses for their after tour samples. Its got a wide mouth that allows alcohol vapors to dissipate but is small enough that I can cover the glass with a few fingers for nosing. It is nowhere as fragile as the Glencairn either.

I've never been a fan of Glencairns but I do have a set of Riedel bourbon glasses for when I want to feel classy.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Why don't Mason jars get more love?