Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New member from SoCal

Hi all. So this may be a bit strange, but I've been turned on to bourbon from all of the craft beer I like that has been aged in bourbon barrels. I've only tried a half dozen or so different bourbons at this point, my favorite of which is Garrison Brothers out of Hye, TX. Next month I'm cracking open a bottle of Goose Island's "Rare" Bourbon County Stout beer that has been aged for 2 years in PPV 23 barrels, so I'll probably be on the hunt for some PPV shortly. Hoping this hobby is a bit cheaper than beer (namely because when you open an expensive beer you can't just drink 2 ounces and put it away!).

-Eric

Guru

Re: New member from SoCal

Hey Eric, welcome aboard, I'm sure the fellas here can steer you toward something that will suit your needs.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Welcome

Bourbon County Stout is quite good and I enjoyed some last week. I was in SoCal last couple of days and a liquor store had two cases of the Bourbon County Stout. If you want to know where, just let me know. They were charging about $8 or so per bottle though.

Not sure what PPV 23 barrels are for bourbon off my head but there are so many good bourbon out there and I believe there is always one for someone.

Connoisseur

Welcome aboard, SixtyThree! Glad to have you posting. Have FUN!
    I can't offer much about beer or stout; I can't drink it, and haven't been able to for over ten years.
    However, Bourbon is much tastier, anyway!

My mistake... PPV 23 should have been PVW 23! I'll blame that mistake on the drink I had just prior

-Eric
    Last edited by SixtyThree; 12-31-2013 at 07:55.

Welcome! I'm very new myself, got into whiskey in general due to my love for barrel-aged craft beer. I like your approach! About it being cheaper... perhaps, unless you drink a lot of alcohol in general. Really good beer tends to run 10-15 for a four pack, sometimes cheaper. I can get through a four on a long weekend. So far, bourbon and irish whiskey lasts a bit longer... but really good whiskey can get ridiculously expensive! I won't venture near any of the really good stuff until my palette is keen enough to notice the difference.

Guru

Jay is correct, some whiskys are ridiculously expensive, but that's due to their limited quantity rather than higher quality. Unfortunately high price does not mean higher quality, sometimes it's just old, tired, overpriced stuff.

Truth is a lot of people can't tell the difference between a $30 bottle and a $150 bottle in a blind tasting, which is really a testament to the very high quality of $30 Bourbons.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Greetings, Eric. As a Texan, I had no idea Garrison Bros. made its way out to your area. Mr. Garrison occasionally posts on here and, while I've never tried his products, I certainly hope that he succeeds, as he is one of the few producers in Texas who actually distills what he sells. You'll be happy to know there's plenty of inexpensive bourbon that's still delicious, e.g., Weller 12, OGD 114, Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond, and Tom Moore Bottled in Bond, to name just a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Eskwar - I don't believe Garrison Bros. makes it that far out of Texas, I picked up a bottle when I was in Grapevine earlier this year (after sampling it at Bob's Chophouse).

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Virtuoso

Always great to have another southern Californian. Where are you located?