Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Old Weller Antique shortage??

Price IS a major consideration. Blanton's currently sells for $38 here - for me it's worth the small premium over ETL.

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    since the random majority of KYans probably dont drink bourbon (the KY population when viewed as a whole across the state), I imagine if you asked a random KYan what a nice bourbon is, theyd pick the only one that pops right into mind....MM.

Most bourbon drinkers that I ask say that Blanton's is nice but overpriced. One friend says that and ETL are his favorites, but with the prices and similarity, he has ETL in the house regularly and practically never a bottle of Blanton's ($30 vs $55)
    It will vary greatly depending on where you are in KY. Makers or jack Daniels would be a popular answer outside the state. But blantons, knob creek and woodford reserve would be equally popular inside ky.

Guru

I didn't realize Blantons was that popular in KY . . . is it the horse?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

I didn't realize it either.

More often than not I see regular ole Kentuckians picking up Woodford when they are getting something "good."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Price IS a major consideration. Blanton's currently sells for $38 here - for me it's worth the small premium over ETL.

Last time I was in HI, everything was like twice the mainland cost.....how does HI get Blantons almost $20 cheaper than the state where it is made? Seems like the overland and oversea shipping would easily double the cost....

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    It will vary greatly depending on where you are in KY. Makers or jack Daniels would be a popular answer outside the state. But blantons, knob creek and woodford reserve would be equally popular inside ky.
    what I was saying is that most KYans don't drink whiskey, when you look at the population as a whole. In which case, you ask what a good bourbon is and all they can think of is what advertising has told them....MM
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Enthusiast

I think the favoritism for Blanton's comes from it's early reputation as "premium" bourbon. Those of us that are enthusiasts understand the multiple (cheaper) variations available, but I think the packaging and marketing that kicked Blanton's off has stuck over the decades.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I didn't realize it either.

More often than not I see regular ole Kentuckians picking up Woodford when they are getting something "good."
    Agreed, either Woodford or Makers 46. Only guys I know who drank Blanton's before I joined SB were high rollers.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    Agreed, either Woodford or Makers 46. Only guys I know who drank Blanton's before I joined SB were high rollers.
    Maybe I'm dating myself. MM46 didn't exist and Woodford was a relatively new product when I left KY
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

I love Blanton's and I can't get RHF or ETL where I live so I buy Blanton's. I try to drink it in small amounts at a time.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

I've been checking around DC in the past couple of weeks, and the shortage is apparent. There are a few left in inventory in Montgomery County, Maryland, but in DC I have seen only one handle of WSR and no OWA at all. There might be some at places I don't go, simply because the prices bring out my bad side. At any rate, these used to be fairly plentiful up here.