Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Old Weller Antique shortage??

Makes me a bit worried about the ETL anniversary release. I talked to a shop owner yesterday and he's getting no info from his distributor about if/how many he's going to get but they are saying the release is "soon". While I put part of the blame on the 3 tier system, BT is anything but pure on this either.
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett

Although I acknowledge Bourbon greatness from Kentucky.....
    I wouldn't exactly look to its populous for advice on what to purchase. More often than not, I look to KY/WV for advice on what NOT to do/buy/anything
    Just because people in KY buy Blantons/Woodford, isn't a vote in either's favor.......

IMO, Blanton's is horrible. The price point makes it worse. Other than Larceny, Blanton's might be my #2 on what NOT to buy over $18
    I, usually, much prefer slower aged bourbons that don't come from a metal rickhouse (Blantons)

Guru

Josh and I. Informing people on what not to do since 1972 and (when were you born again?). :skep

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Marsh View Post
    Although I acknowledge Bourbon greatness from Kentucky.....
    I wouldn't exactly look to its populous for advice on what to purchase. More often than not, I look to KY/WV for advice on what NOT to do/buy/anything
    Just because people in KY buy Blantons/Woodford, isn't a vote in either's favor.......

IMO, Blanton's is horrible. The price point makes it worse. Other than Larceny, Blanton's might be my #2 on what NOT to buy over $18
    I, usually, much prefer slower aged bourbons that don't come from a metal rickhouse (Blantons)
    I always recommend Blantons, Makers and Woodford so that my picks are always in stock.

Seriously though, that is exactly what the middle class novice drinkers are buying/drinking here and that's why you'll see it on large table display spreads and/or aisle end caps in every liquor store around these parts.

Disciple

That's the key. If someone asks for a recommendation, you want to suggest something they can find. Blanton's and Woodford are pretty easy to find. Whether others find them enjoyable and reasonably priced is another issue. Personally, I like both well enough while not drinking them as much as other offerings.

I know when I visit KY, relatives and others rarely recommend these offerings. Typically, they suggest cheaper offerings like Heaven Hill (EW, EC, etc.) or OGD.

Taster

There is going to be a lot more Pappy in the next few years! BT needs.to strike the iron while it is hot. We need some Pappy in Asia!

Mark Brown was the one who brought JD to the world, now it is time to spread the gospel of Pappy!

Get the Weller while you can folks.
    Last edited by Vadertime; 03-23-2014 at 16:57.

Connoisseur

I'm up in Virginia taking care of the grand kids and it is interesting that every store I visited had OWA so I am headed home with a case.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    It will vary greatly depending on where you are in KY. Makers or jack Daniels would be a popular answer outside the state. But blantons, knob creek and woodford reserve would be equally popular inside ky.
    I thought VOB BIB was the table bourbon of choice among Kentuckians.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    At my store, The 86 proof is the most popular of the Barton's. Beam white and Evan Williams black are most popular here in central KY. Of the premiums, it's makers mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    At my store, The 86 proof is the most popular of the Barton's. Beam white and Evan Williams black are most popular here in central KY. Of the premiums, it's makers mark.