Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: Old Weller Antique shortage??

Quote Originally Posted by upStomp View Post
    Went by Julio's at lunch. Pretty much all mid-shelf BT products are either sold out (BT, ETL, Loch & K(e)y OWA) or will be soon (ER10, Standard OWA). Upper and upper/mid shelf stock seems fine - plenty of Single Oak Project, CEHT standards, and Blanton's.
    I've slowly watched the supply of OWA and Special Reserve dwindle over the last 3 months at my local shop, one of the top booze shops in my area. Today, you cannot find either of those bottles on the shelf.

Back in late January, one of the sales persons snickered at me when I asked to buy a case of OWA. He said we have TONS of that stuff and asked me if I wanted more. A case was enough for me, but I'd say there is a definite shortage in light of its lack of availability today.

Now, the next question to answer is why is there a shortage? Demand increase? True supply shortage? Artificial shortage?

Advanced Taster

I can't find Weller 12 here in Los Angeles. I just wanted to try a bottle! I see OWA and Reserve, though they are not common.

Anyone know where I can pick up a W12 or 2 around SoCal? Thanks!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by upStomp View Post
    Went by Julio's at lunch. Pretty much all mid-shelf BT products are either sold out (BT, ETL, Loch & K(e)y OWA) or will be soon (ER10, Standard OWA). Upper and upper/mid shelf stock seems fine - plenty of Single Oak Project, CEHT standards, and Blanton's.
    Blatons is the one BT product I've always seen available everywhere..

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dcbt View Post
    Blatons is the one BT product I've always seen available everywhere..

.....because it is overpriced at retail
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    I'm a huge fan of most things BT, but I have to agree. Low to mid 30's might be more fair, IMHO. I'd be more than willing to forgo the holy hand grenade packaging to make up some of the difference.

Connoisseur

And frankly I'd be ok with higher prices on other products if it meant more availability like Blantons...

Guru

Agreed. I just can't pay $54.99 for a bottle of Blantons since I know how it tastes.

I'll pay that much for a bottle the first time but if the taste doesn't suit me it won't happen again.

Enthusiast

Funny, because if you ask a random Kentuckian what a really nice bourbon is, I bet more than 50% would tell you Blanton's.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    Funny, because if you ask a random Kentuckian what a really nice bourbon is, I bet more than 50% would tell you Blanton's.
    since the random majority of KYans probably dont drink bourbon (the KY population when viewed as a whole across the state), I imagine if you asked a random KYan what a nice bourbon is, theyd pick the only one that pops right into mind....MM.

Most bourbon drinkers that I ask say that Blanton's is nice but overpriced. One friend says that and ETL are his favorites, but with the prices and similarity, he has ETL in the house regularly and practically never a bottle of Blanton's ($30 vs $55)
    Think about how stupid the average person is.....then realize that half of them are more stupid than that.

Connoisseur

since the random majority of KYans probably dont drink bourbon (the KY population when viewed as a whole across the state), I imagine if you asked a random KYan what a nice bourbon is, theyd pick the only one that pops right into mind....MM.

Most bourbon drinkers that I ask say that Blanton's is nice but overpriced. One friend says that and ETL are his favorites, but with the prices and similarity, he has ETL in the house regularly and practically never a bottle of Blanton's ($30 vs $55)
    You beat me to the punch: Blantons IS a good bourbon but is the bottle design alone worth almost twice the price as ETL? They are essentially the same product.. If ETL cost more, I don't think people would have as much of a problem with the price of Blantons. The spread between the two probably shouldn't be as severe as it is.