Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Re: Old Weller Antique shortage??

OWA and WSR were both back on the shelves on my last visit to one of the stores in my area. I've also seen some BT, but no ETL or Weller 12.

FWIW, Weller 12 probably won't be seen until the fall. Weller 12 is now basically a yearly release like Pappy and the BTAC. Has been for two or three years. If some folks are seeing Weller 12, and other seemingly limited or out of stock items show up from time to time, in all likelihood, it's because of the distributor. Yeah, I know. I've heard the same old song and dance more than a few times, from a number of liquor stores. I've also had a couple of interesting conversations with sales reps too. "Oh, we just found these in the warehouse" or "We forgot we had these." or "We finally found your order." or " We finally got your order. It was shipped to the wrong store by mistake, and it took us a while to get it all straightened out." I'm not saying it's all the distributors fault, as I'm pretty sure that some times store owners probably make mistakes too.

I've talked with a few store managers around here from time to time. The picture that's painted is an odd one. The sales reps/distributors like to dangle a carrot from time to time. "If you start carrying ABC Vodka, we'll see what we can do about getting you a few bottles of DEF bourbon." Another thing I heard most recently was very interesting. One newer store manager here told me that he might be offered a "few things" if he would consider doing a barrel pick of GHI whiskey. Could this be a couple of reasons why some bottles don't make it to stores in a timely manner? Things that make you go hmmmmmm.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Apprentice

Question Where's the Weller???

The warehouse of the Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) has been out of Weller 107 for 5 weeks!!!

The liquor store in the small town where I live special orders Weller 107 for me, they have to purchase it by the case and not by the bottle, as many other bourbons can be purchased. When they ran dry 5 weeks ago I picked up the last few bottles from a store in a nearby city, but now they have been out and their last 2 orders for any Weller has been unfulfilled.

Has anyone an idea if the distillery ran dry or if there is a shortage of Weller 107 around the country???

Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by Scoots; 05-10-2014 at 07:44.
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3862&dateline=1216772  641 I love the smell of bourbon in the morning!

Trippah and Admin

Re: Where's the Weller???

Merged into the current Weller shortage discussion.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Re: Where's the Weller???

Reading posts I know members in the big city are seeing but my dealers still can't get any.

Virtuoso

AZ is still a Weller wasteland aside from some OWA and WSR stragglers I occasionally run across.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Enthusiast

I noticed that caskers.com is selling OWA today (at their typical steep markup), so there must be a new supply going around.

Disciple

Found WSR at three stores during lunch but no W12 or OWA.

Guru

Saw OWA for the first time in a while locally, but not short on it (yet) so left it alone.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Part of the problem is that brands on allocation are allocated in part according to historic sales, and Weller has always been a regional brand. Texas, for example, where Weller has always sold very well, gets a lot of the Weller that's available. Now, more people are becoming aware of Weller as the Van Winkle alternative, so people are trying to find it in markets where Weller was not historically sold. Retailers who have customers asking for it can't get it from distributors because the small allocation goes so fast.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Part of the problem is that brands on allocation are allocated in part according to historic sales, and Weller has always been a regional brand. Texas, for example, where Weller has always sold very well, gets a lot of the Weller that's available. Now, more people are becoming aware of Weller as the Van Winkle alternative, so people are trying to find it in markets where Weller was not historically sold. Retailers who have customers asking for it can't get it from distributors because the small allocation goes so fast.
    Yep, you can get Weller everywhere here and by the case. On the other hand ETL is not easy to find even when there isn't a shortage. I can only think of 5 or 6 stores that carry it out of 100+ that I've been to around here.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.