Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Old Weller Antique shortage??

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I just spoke to Buffalo Trace and they said the predicted shortage is in full effect. I was in Binny's Lakeview a few days ago and while I didn't conduct a real survey, they seemed to be out of nearly everything BT, including ETL, BT, Baby Saz, and everything Weller. They did, however, have plenty of VOB and 1792.

Not BT, but I can report that they have plenty of Rittenhouse BIB, and it probably won't last.
    Never one to let an impending shortage go to waste, I'll be stopping at a couple places on the way home. In general there's still quite a bit of stock at my usual haunts, but BT and ETL are long gone from one store in particular that usually has a good number of BT products available at any given time.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Shortages are shortages, and can be dealt with accordingly. But, I have to believe that Buffalo Trace views running so low on their namesake bourbon a catastrophic event, that must corrected by any means necessary. Screw every other brand in the portfolio, IOW. Take a hike OC.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Screw every other brand in the portfolio, IOW. Take a hike OC.
    at the rate OC is going (several reductions in age lately), in another 2 years or so the bottle will be so young it'll just be corn kernels in it

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    at the rate OC is going (several reductions in age lately), in another 2 years or so the bottle will be so young it'll just be corn kernels in it
    What do you mean by several reductions in age?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    What do you mean by several reductions in age?
    in the just over a year period ive been into this and paying attention, I saw OC go from 10 to 8, and remember seeing 12 year a few years back and a few still on shelves in my earliest bourbon days just a year and a half ago. It'll be no time before its just #8 Im sure

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Shortages are shortages, and can be dealt with accordingly. But, I have to believe that Buffalo Trace views running so low on their namesake bourbon a catastrophic event, that must corrected by any means necessary. Screw every other brand in the portfolio, IOW. Take a hike OC.
    I read in one of the blogs recently that there are rumors that BT has been shopping around for bulk bourbon. I believe it was the Bourbon Truth blog. I am not certain of the basis for the rumor nor am I familiar with the blogger so I even hesitate mentioning but it is something to think about. I recall Freddie Johnson mentioning that BT has something like 20 years worth of bourbon aging in their warehouses. Of course, it is of varying ages. I believe he was basing it on their bottling capacity (i.e., at their current capacity, it would take 20 years to bottle what they have barreled.)

Warning: Just read the beginning, this blog entry is long!

http://thebourbontruth.tumblr.com/po...e-on-the-raise
    Last edited by mbroo5880i; 02-13-2014 at 11:15.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    in the just over a year period ive been into this and paying attention, I saw OC go from 10 to 8, and remember seeing 12 year a few years back and a few still on shelves in my earliest bourbon days just a year and a half ago. It'll be no time before its just #8 Im sure
    Old Charter has not gone from 10yo to 8yo. They were separate labels available concurrently from BT until the 10yo was discontinued.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Old Charter has not gone from 10yo to 8yo. They were separate labels available concurrently from BT until the 10yo was discontinued.

really? never knew that. I noticed 10 on the shelf and 8 at the same time, then the 10 was gone. to my perspective, at least, it looked like the 8 supplanted the 10

Guru

In an odd twist on modern trends for many years Old Charter was a 7 year old before it was relabeled as an 8.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by oldnick View Post
    Would you be willing to PM me the store you speak of? I moved to St Louis from Austin TX a year ago, OWA was always available there, handles for $45. I have yet to see it in stock in the St Louis metro area. Thanks in advance
    Sorry, I just saw this. There does seem to be a minimum post threshold before others can send you PM's. Might I suggest posting in the New to Straightbourbon topic? My usual spots are Randall's and Wine and Cheese Place - Lukas isn't terribly close for me. Randall's was were I had spotted the OWA but they were out the last time I was there. Oddly enough, I happened to be in a store in St. Charles (Lots of Liquor) that had some bottles. As usual, if you go there because you read it here, please be courteous to others and don't clean out their entire stock! If nothing else, the last time I was in Lukas the spirits manager was hoping to get some more at the end of February/sometime in March. He's not getting good info from the distributor, but he's hoping. Lukas and W&C both have decent blogs up and I strongly suspect they'll post when they get more Weller.

(And I hope they do get more W12 soon - I'm running low on THAT after making my latest batch of SB Blend)

-- Ravensfire
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett