Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: How's Larceny Doing?

Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    If I could convince HH marketing (Or any of the distillers) of one bottle that would have a great spot on todays market, it would be a 10 yr bonded wheater (what Centennial used to be). If they could keep it at ~ $50 I would buy it as a regular pour. Unfortunately the way age statements are dropping like flies, I don't think the supply system can support it.
    They still make Very Special Old Fitzgerald which is age stated at 12 years, although it's not bonded. I don't have the bottle in front of me at the moment but I believe it's 90 proof. I like it better than Larceny or OFBIB although it's priced a little higher ($30). I haven't seen it anywhere in Indy but I picked up a couple of bottles at TPS a few weeks ago.

Enthusiast

Yes, VSOF12 is 90 proof. Good stuff, especially if you let it breath a while, like most wheaters.

The bottles of Larceny I have in my cabinet, and the one that I have open are all doing just fine.

Wait for it…………...
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackinbox View Post
    They still make Very Special Old Fitzgerald which is age stated at 12 years, although it's not bonded. I don't have the bottle in front of me at the moment but I believe it's 90 proof. I like it better than Larceny or OFBIB although it's priced a little higher ($30). I haven't seen it anywhere in Indy but I picked up a couple of bottles at TPS a few weeks ago.
    Yeah, but I don't think the distribution on VSOF is very wide. I rarely find it outside KY (which ay mean I just need to get back to KY more often)
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    The bottles of Larceny I have in my cabinet, and the one that I have open are all doing just fine.

Wait for it…………...
    But in extreme peril!
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    But in extreme peril!
    Now that's funny.

Luckily I've opened a few other bottles recently, so I think I'll be okay for a while. But you never know. I do plan on visiting my local store soon. I know they have the Larceny, I just have to see if they have the new round of rebates too. I'll probably end up grabbing a couple of more bottles regardless.

Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Haven't seen VSOF in these parts - for those of you who can find it, how does it compare to the Weller 12? They are both 90 proof, no?

I'm going to get another Larceny, rebate or not, to compare to some store selection OWA I have - I'd love to get a VSOF to compare to it as well.
    Mark

Enthusiast

I find VSOF a little more buttery, while W12 is a little woodier. These are subtle differences, not big ones.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Haven't seen VSOF in these parts - for those of you who can find it, how does it compare to the Weller 12? They are both 90 proof, no?

I'm going to get another Larceny, rebate or not, to compare to some store selection OWA I have - I'd love to get a VSOF to compare to it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    I find VSOF a little more buttery, while W12 is a little woodier. These are subtle differences, not big ones.
    In addition to black mamba's notes on both VSOF and W12, I get the classic HH house style notes of herbaceous flavors (grassy, menthol) in the VSOF. I also get more barrel char flavor from W12.

Enthusiast

Really, I personally dont find them to be all that similar. I do get a 'gum' or 'candy' flavor from the VSOF I don't necessarily find in W12 and I also find that VSOF lacks some of the complexity good bottles of W12 often have.

That said they don't sell W12 in this state so I am only going off of recollection.