Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

New member here from Seattle area

Hello all. I've been lurking for a while trying to learn the lay of the land before joining. The revival of a thread with a bunch of PNW members compelled me to finally sign up.
    I was a very casual bourbon drinker for many many years - Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve was what I had on hand. Last Christmas my brother-in-law introduced me to George T Stagg and Thomas H Handy and opened up an entire new world of bourbon to me. Since then I've been broadening my tastes and trying new things. Looking forward to learning more and tasting more. Thanks for all the info you guys bring to this forum.

Steve

Guru

Re: New member here from Seattle area

Thank you Steve and welcome aboard.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

squire - I see you sharing a lot of knowledge here and because of you I'm on the hunt for OGD114. Trying to find it here in the Seattle area.

Enthusiast

Welcome Steve! OGD 114 is regularly available at Capco Beverages which has two stores, one in West Seattle and another in Issaquah. You likely won't be disappointed if you pick up a bottle.

Advanced Taster

Greetings and salutations, flahute. I've found SBers to be friendly and knowledgeable, and I'm sure you will as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guru

Welcome to SB Steve! Enjoy your stay here and I look forward to reading your thoughts and contributions here. While DBM's Capco recommendation is a good one, OGD114 is relatively easy to find in WA state now. Maybe we'll get to share a pour one of these days!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Thanks all. I look forward to meeting some of you local guys at some point. Thanks for the tips on OGD114. Apart from some small stores with limited selection, I've mostly been to Total Wine in Lynwood and Bellevue and they don't carry it. I'm starting to venture out more. I've been to Esquin, but wasn't looking for it then so I don't remember if they carry it. (However after their Pappy price gouging, I'm not inclined to go back to them).

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by flahute View Post
    Thanks all. I look forward to meeting some of you local guys at some point. Thanks for the tips on OGD114. Apart from some small stores with limited selection, I've mostly been to Total Wine in Lynwood and Bellevue and they don't carry it. I'm starting to venture out more. I've been to Esquin, but wasn't looking for it then so I don't remember if they carry it. (However after their Pappy price gouging, I'm not inclined to go back to them).
    BevMo @ Bellevue & Redmond has them in stock too...
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Welcome aboard, flahute! Hope you find the folks here as cordial and knowledgeable as I've always found 'em.
    In expanding your "Bourbon Experiences", don't skip the lower shelf and middle shelf brands. There are more than a few really nice pours to be found there, and at very reasonable rates.
    Have fun, ask questions, post opinions, and you'll be another "Bourbonian" we'll all enjoy hearing from.

Connoisseur

Thanks again for the tips on where to find OGD114.

Richnimrod, I take your advice to heart. Because my bro-in-law got me started with Stagg and Handy, I made the noob mistake of thinking that either higher price or higher age equaled higher quality. Because of that, I have some high price bottles on my shelf that are just sort of "meh" to me as well as some I really like (but now believe are overpriced). I'm now putting those bottles aside and moving down the shelf in order to taste more profiles and find out what I like that doesn't break the bank.