Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Why isn't Jack Daniels having issues?

I have been reading all the posts about bourbon shortages. I read the letter sent out by Buffalo Trace. Then I wondered, Jack Daniels is one of the largest in the world. And to most people, Jack Daniels is bourbon. So why isn't Jack Daniels having supply shortages?

Guru

Re: Why isn't Jack Daniels having issues?

Because they make a lot of it and that's no joke. Brown-Forman is in the enviable position of having the World's largest selling by volume whisky and they make sure the pipeline stays full.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonGuy View Post
    I have been reading all the posts about bourbon shortages. I read the letter sent out by Buffalo Trace. Then I wondered, Jack Daniels is one of the largest in the world. And to most people, Jack Daniels is bourbon. So why isn't Jack Daniels having supply shortages?
    They're spending $100 million to expand the distillery and increase production by 15-20%, so presumably, they are trying to deal with the issue before shortages hit. But they also don't use age statements and release mostly at 40% so they have a bit more flexibility than BT does with many of its brands.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    They're spending $100 million to expand the distillery and increase production by 15-20%, so presumably, they are trying to deal with the issue before shortages hit. But they also don't use age statements and release mostly at 40% so they have a bit more flexibility than BT does with many of its brands.

couldnt say it any better than that

Enthusiast

Additionally since they produce so few products (aside from the occasional special releases it's just jack, gentleman jack, and jack single barrel), they aren't in the position BT is in where you end up robbing Peter to pay Paul. Shift more barrels into Buffalo Trace --> less down the road for Eagle Rare, etc, etc.

Disciple

thye been expanding for years and their warehouses are huge. They even have two stave operations, one in Tn and the other in Al

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by nd2005 View Post
    Additionally since they produce so few products (aside from the occasional special releases it's just jack, gentleman jack, and jack single barrel), they aren't in the position BT is in where you end up robbing Peter to pay Paul. Shift more barrels into Buffalo Trace --> less down the road for Eagle Rare, etc, etc.
    That was true for years, but not any more. Now, they are in exactly that position, which is part of the reason for the expansion. it's all about Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey which has seen explosive growth.

Enthusiast

That was true for years, but not any more. Now, they are in exactly that position, which is part of the reason for the expansion. it's all about Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey which has seen explosive growth.
    I forgot about the Honey. Crazy how much that stuff sells...

Advanced Taster

So the folks at F-B were more proactive and are in a better position now while others are playing catch-up?

Guru

Essentially, yes.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.