Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Looking Back - Looking Forward

What about microdistilleries? Would it be possible/profitable for entrepeneurs to create a niche product with small production at a premium price?
    Somebody has already done so, at least in Virginia. VA ABC now carries the product--it's called Copper Fox:

http://www.copperfox.biz/

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Very positive development. Other small operations exist, in California and Oregon (making spirits of various kinds on a small scale). As Mike Veach has noted, quality bourbon likely could be made following historical principles and sold in a four year span. Barreling liquors distilled at just over 100 proof (therefore minimal dilution to entry proof), using the traditional techniques Jimbo noted, using (I suggest) very heavy-charred casks, could make a very saleable product in 4 or 5 years and justify the investment necessary to carry things until sales take off. Maybe some new production could be sold to merchants (for them to age it under their names), to raise money for working capital and to pay some of the debt load. The microbrewers have led the way. Many waited more than 4 years to see a real payback. Clearly there are differences in the two industries, but the analogy makes sense to a point.

Gary

Enthusiast

Mike,

I couldn't agree with you more! I understand everything you are saying. There is only one person that could possibly make this happen and that is Julian. There is something special about this man-I think he is on the right track. If they start making bourbon this way get ready to pay what bourbon is really worth. I just read an article in the Whisky Magazine and I am quoting what Lincoln Henderson said " We are almost giving it away" and I couldn't agree with him more. I think bourbon is the best bargain of any spirit in the world. Within the next few years, you will see bourbon double and more, and even at that it will be a bargain. I am very proud to say we, or I should say they (meaning master distillers) are producing the absolute best spirit in the world. I can not imagine what the next 20 or 30 years will bring, but one thing is for sure, as long as we have people like Jimmy Russell, Elmer T. Lee, Bill Samuels, Lincoln Henderson just to name a few, bourbon can only get better.

Cheers,
    Marvin

Advanced Taster

Somebody has already done so, at least in Virginia. VA ABC now carries the product--it's called Copper Fox:

I had seen this at my local ABC and was curious but they could not tell me much. After viewing the web site I am entrigued. I was wondering what you thought of it, if you bought it.

Connoisseur

I was wondering what you thought of it [Copper Fox], if you bought it.
    At the risk of straying off topic here (because technically Copper Fox isn't bourbon, although some would probably insist that it's "bourbon-like"), Copper Fox is very drinkable, but every time I've tasted it I've felt like it would REALLY benefit from additional aging. The nose is medicinal but not harsh. Palate is citrusy and a bit tart (I'm assuming from the applewood). Finish is raw and harsh. You can definitely tell it's VERY young.

It's worth buying just to try something different, but you won't impress your whiskey connoisseur friends with it.

Enthusiast

>This discussion begs the question.
    >What about microdistilleries?
    >Would it be possible/profitable for entrepeneurs to create a niche product with
    >small production at a premium price?

I think Charbay takes the cake for "small production at a premium price".
    Their first batch of whiskey was ~840 bottles total, each at ~$300 per bottle.

Microdistilling is taking off. I'll go ahead and post more information
    in the "Other American Whiskies" section.

Tim Dellinger

Connoisseur

Ed,
    Would it be possible/profitable for entrepeneurs to create a niche product with small production at a premium price?

I may be totally off base (it's happened before... ) but, if I were Brown Forman, that's the direction I would be taking Labrot & Graham. Instead of messing with Woodford Reserve, they could offer all kinds on interesting stuff.
    Bj