Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Camacho Impressions and Opinions?

I was just talking with Troyce on the phone, and he was telling me that he smoked one of the Camacho's yesterday, and he wasn't too impressed. This launched me into my stories on the dozen or so different Camacho's that I have samples over the last couple of years...None of which I would give 2 cents for. This is just a family of cigars that I flat out do not care for. All seem to have some combination of harshness (my primary problem with them), poor draw, and irregular burning. Am I missing something? Any of you fellow cigar somokers out there have an opinion on this brand? If you are a fan, can you recommend one that I might try,that might give me a better opinion of the brand?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Re: Camacho Impressions and Opinions?

I smoke a lot of the Camacho Corojo Limited in either the Robusto/diploma size or the 11/18 size. I also like the Camacho Triple Maduro in all sizes except the Torpedo (this one size always has a nasty section near the final third). And finally I love the Camacho Connecticut especially in the Figurado size.

If you are finding Camacho cigars too harsh try the Connecticut as I find it to be smooth and tasty. Be careful thou they do pack a nicotine punch that can knock you down when you smoke too many in a row.

Advanced Taster

Looking back on my log of cigars, looks like I have only had one Camacho, and that was their Triple Maduro (Torpedo). From the looks of things I liked it, it was pretty toothy and rich, definitely a full bodied, dark beauty. I wrote down "notes of coffee, chocolate, and some cedar." My personal rating of it was a 8.5/10. From the sounds of it, I'd be willing to try it again. Other than that I haven't had any from them.

The Camacho Corojo Limited are the jewels in my opnion as well. I have several of the scorpions (same as the 11/18 size I believe) that were factory aged 5 years prior to release, they have burn problems on occassion but are a smoke with little bite. However the power will sneak up on you.

I believe the scorpions are a different size then the 11/18. I find both to be excellent but the scorpions are more tapered old school perfecto shaped where the 11/18 are more like a hybrid that you would get if a churchill and a perfecto had a child.

If I had to rate my favorite Camacho's it would be:

1. Camacho Liberty (overpriced/bad value but a good smoke)
    2. Camacho Corojo Limited/Diploma
    3. Camacho Connecticut
    4. Camacho Triple Maduro
    5. Camacho SLR Maduro

The Camacho Pre-embargo is not a bad cigar just a terrible value, for the price I would rather smoke a Cohiba.

Novice

Camacho is one of my favorite cigar makers. Love the corojo, the triple maduro, and just about most everything they make. In fact, our cigar shop is sponsoring a tour to their camp in Honduras in March.

Taster

Never been much of a Camacho fan.
    Love bourbon? Post your reviews at bourbon.cc.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I was just talking with Troyce on the phone, and he was telling me that he smoked one of the Camacho's yesterday, and he wasn't too impressed. This launched me into my stories on the dozen or so different Camacho's that I have samples over the last couple of years...None of which I would give 2 cents for.
    Good. Now I know what to leave on the Gazebo railings in April.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    Good. Now I know what to leave on the Gazebo railings in April.
    Joe
    Good one! You're still pretty quick at your age, Joe. Will I ever live that one down??....Probably, not....

JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Have an opportunity to pick up a box of the triple maduro at a really discount price. Anybody else have an opinion on this cigar. Will likely buy a single stick to try. Do enjoy maduros.