Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    497

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    No particular reason... And no that's not from my birth year. It's what was available and I wanted it.

    Well, no better reason than that!

  2. #22
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    497

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Is that Glenfarclas really worth the ~$400 price tag? Or am I better served spending less on something like the Glenlivet 1981?

  3. #23
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Markham, ONT
    Posts
    490

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    Is that Glenfarclas really worth the ~$400 price tag? Or am I better served spending less on something like the Glenlivet 1981?
    Only you can determine if a ~30yr old Glenfarclas distillery bottling is worth $400.
    You will have to pay A LOT more than $400 for a 1981 Glenlivet distillery bottling. For less it will be an independent bottling.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

  4. #24
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    497

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Only you can determine if a ~30yr old Glenfarclas distillery bottling is worth $400.
    You will have to pay A LOT more than $400 for a 1981 Glenlivet distillery bottling. For less it will be an independent bottling.
    IB or OB does not matter to me and I'm aware its my decision, what I wanted was others opinions on if the glenfarclas is that much better in their eyes, enough to justify the price difference. The IB glenlivet 1981 is around $100 cheaper and while I may not be a fan of their younger offerings, people here may know if the 30+ is worth it.

  5. #25
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    368

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    I believe a kidney should be enough to get you a Zawa (at least a 375ml).

    I'm also an 1981er and have been eyeing this: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-20379.aspx
    For me, I don't think there is a more accurate birthday bottle floating out there.
    Justin

  6. #26
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Markham, ONT
    Posts
    490

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    IB or OB does not matter to me and I'm aware its my decision, what I wanted was others opinions on if the glenfarclas is that much better in their eyes, enough to justify the price difference. The IB glenlivet 1981 is around $100 cheaper and while I may not be a fan of their younger offerings, people here may know if the 30+ is worth it.
    I have never tried the old Glenlivet but did the try a sample of the 30yo OB Glenfarclas last week. Delicious stuff!!! (Disclosure: GF is one of the top 5 single malts for me, GL is good but I wouldn't rank in the top 10)

    If I was in the market for a $300++ whisky I would pay an extra $100 for a vintage OB Glenfarclas - no question! Given the quality and reputation of GF I might even buy the bottle without tasting.
    Last edited by portwood; 01-07-2014 at 11:00.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

  7. #27
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    1,442

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    A word of warning about Glenfarclas Family Casks, they're pretty much all amazing, but they're not all "Glenfarclas". I've had three of the 1982 casks (my birth year) and while all were exceptionally good, one was completely different than the GF profile. Grassy, hint-o-smoke, highland-style bourbon cask type stuff. Not the sherried luxuriousness you expect from GF. Still very, very good though.

    portwood is spot on about the 30 year OB bottle. It (along with the 40 year OB) are the best values in the "ultra aged" sector, and it's not even close.

  8. #28
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    497

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    A word of warning about Glenfarclas Family Casks, they're pretty much all amazing, but they're not all "Glenfarclas". I've had three of the 1982 casks (my birth year) and while all were exceptionally good, one was completely different than the GF profile. Grassy, hint-o-smoke, highland-style bourbon cask type stuff. Not the sherried luxuriousness you expect from GF. Still very, very good though.

    portwood is spot on about the 30 year OB bottle. It (along with the 40 year OB) are the best values in the "ultra aged" sector, and it's not even close.
    Hmmmm, thanks for the info guys, that Glenfarclas is sounding like a good prospect.

    I found something fairly cheap from a site I have not ordered from before, it's a 1981 32 year old Berrys Glen Spey for ~$160 shipped, less if I order more bottles. Because it's Berry's its 46% ABV and not CS, so thats a bummer, but the price seems good and reviews of Glen Spey in general are good, though I can't find anything on this particular bottle. Anyone here know anything about them?

    I may be looking at this the wrong way, currently I think I'm focusing on getting the year and not getting quality. If I step up for that Glenfarclas I would likely get both.

  9. #29
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Markham, ONT
    Posts
    490

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    I may be looking at this the wrong way, currently I think I'm focusing on getting the year and not getting quality. If I step up for that Glenfarclas I would likely get both.
    Your money of course .... but, if it were me, being in the market specifically for the vintage implies a special date to celebrate. That being the case, ask yourself this ... is it worth celebrating a date with a drink that may not suit the importance of the occasion?

    Special day calls for special whisky - the contents of the bottle not the label on the outside.


    (if the budget is tight, save up for a few months by foregoing a couple of bottles of regular stuff then pull the trigger. Just don't wait too long because old whisky isn't getting any cheaper or easier to find)
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

  10. #30
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    1,442

    Re: Scotch from 1981

    Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Just don't wait too long because old whisky isn't getting any cheaper or easier to find)
    I have a nice little stash of 1982 vintage Scotch and this is the exact reason why. I decided when I turned 30 that I wanted to have some of these and they were never going to be more affordable than they were "today" so I grabbed a cross section of different distilleries that I was willing to foot the bill on. I'd love to find a Macallan 18 1982, but other than a Talisker 1982 20 year old (that I'm never going to spend the money on, even if I did find it) I think I've pretty much got everything I'd like to have.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. K&L Karuizwa (1981/cask#8775, 1999/cask#869)
    By ChainWhip in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-11-2013, 09:29
  2. which scotch to buy next?
    By velocci in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 17:45
  3. Scotch in tea
    By JeffRenner in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 18:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top