Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 1/14: Colonel E H Taylor Small Batch

Nice! I don't have a bottle on the shelf at the moment but I really like EHT Small Batch. I'll have to grab another bottle and really focus on some tasting notes.

Novice

Excellent stuff! I like the barrel proof a little better, but the SB is much easier to find.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    anyone know the age of this? It just says Bottled In Bond on the label, but I know Ive heard people say 8 or 9 years. With no age statement, who knows....
    I remember reading somewhere that it is 7YO. Seems to me, though, that they would brag about it on the label if so. There aren't many 7YO BIBs out there and BT would have a competitive advantage. Other than, if people think that the price means it must be 8 or 9....
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Advanced Taster

Reading this thread makes me want to go out and buy another bottle. I finished my first one off a couple months ago. I prefer the small batch over the single barrel. I have a bottle of barrel proof but haven't opened it yet. I've never found a bottle of Tornado but am on the lookout.
    Drank a lot of whiskey
    It gives me such a glow
    It makes me quite immobile
    But it lets my feelin' show

Disciple

Interesting selection for BOTM. I agree with others. There is a distinct BT family taste. I also notice a musty scent along with a hint of cherry. The entry is a little hot but I don't find the need to add water. On the palate, I note some spice, maybe pepper but also some of the cherry that I noted in the nose.

This bourbon would be a great deal in the $25 to $30 range, possibly as a step up from BT but as a sister bourbon to ER10. I don't know if I would consider it a better option than ER10, especially the store selections of ER10.

I had tried this one before and like it but had never purchased a bottled since the normal retail is around $40. I bought a bottle on sale and I am glad to have it around. I plan to explore it more. I doubt I will buy another bottle given the price, especially since I can find store selections of ER10 for about $10 cheaper.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    Will admit to having only tried the SmB from the range (though am tempted to pick up the Rye).
    If you like the BTAC Thomas Handy Sazerac, you'll like the rye. Completely different mashbill - no corn, just rye with malted barley - but it has a very similar flavor of spicy confectionary.

I'm quite fond of Small Batch. It has a surprising amount of spice for something made from BT's lower-rye mashbill, yet the backbone is sweeter than the rye-spice would let on. I think it's incredibly well balanced. Too expensive for an everyday pour at $40ish a bottle, but very nice for a treat. Or if you have a guest you want to impress.
    Michael Shoshani - Old No. 8 on the Straightbourbon.com forums

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post

I'm quite fond of Small Batch. It has a surprising amount of spice for something made from BT's lower-rye mashbill, yet the backbone is sweeter than the rye-spice would let on. I think it's incredibly well balanced. Too expensive for an everyday pour at $40ish a bottle, but very nice for a treat. Or if you have a guest you want to impress.
    This is a very good description and was a surprise to me as well,this is one of the few CEHT's that has been a repeat purchase for me.Now if they would put the rest of the line in a competitive price bracket.....yeah right!
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Interesting selection for BOTM. I agree with others. There is a distinct BT family taste. I also notice a musty scent along with a hint of cherry. The entry is a little hot but I don't find the need to add water. On the palate, I note some spice, maybe pepper but also some of the cherry that I noted in the nose.

This bourbon would be a great deal in the $25 to $30 range, possibly as a step up from BT but as a sister bourbon to ER10. I don't know if I would consider it a better option than ER10, especially the store selections of ER10.

I had tried this one before and like it but had never purchased a bottled since the normal retail is around $40. I bought a bottle on sale and I am glad to have it around. I plan to explore it more. I doubt I will buy another bottle given the price, especially since I can find store selections of ER10 for about $10 cheaper.
    Wholeheartedly agree. ER10 is not my favorite bourbon by any stretch but I have had some store selections of it that were superb.

Enthusiast

I went through a bottle of this when it first came out and didn't care for it. I don't remember it well enough to have tasting notes, I only remember that I didn't want to buy it again.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    I really love this stuff. I would drink it more often if it was cheaper, but it really hits the spot for me. I think this is the best looking bottle on the shelf! Here are my notes:

Nose: Orange zest, pineapple, marzipan, lemon juice, refined sugar, angostura, toasted brown sugar, toffee

Taste: Sugar and clementines up front, followed by star anise, cinnamon and allspice mid palate, then creamy oak and coffee at the back end; creamy mouth-feel, moderate tannin

Finish: medium length, citrus fruits, milk chocolates and baking spices

Overall: Tastes like an Old-Fashioned straight from the bottle. Not as rich, spicy and flavorful as the Tornado. More mellow baking spices and cocktail bitters laced with lots of citrus notes. Fantastic on the palate from start to finish. Very enjoyable bourbon for any occasion.
    I agree with this...I definitely get the creamy oak and coffee at the back end. I just enjoy this stuff, more than I thought I would. I've never had the single barrel or the tornado.