Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 1/14: Colonel E H Taylor Small Batch

I do like the single barrel, so this just made the short list.

Virtuoso

I really like the small batch, it might be my favorite of the BT high corn mashbill, for the money. Unfortunately it's going for $40 now instead of $34 like my last bottle.

Novice

Nose: It smells like my colleague's 1970s wood condo in Lake Tahoe, the kind that is still decorated with the original orange and avocado colored appliances.

Taste: It has a quick, sweet start then BOOMEXPLOSION. After that, it mellows for a second and tastes like a cabinet.

Finish: That cabinet is subsequently lit on fire and smolders in your throat.

Overall: This bourbon uses your uvula like a punching speedbag. If that's your thing, you'll like it. I didn't, but one of the other TWS SelectLadiesTM did.

I've liked all the other CEH Taylors quite a bit but had never gotten the small batch. This thread was the push I needed. I like this a lot! Definitely tobacco and leather in this. There's a nice spice but not too much. A little cherry comes out in the end. I'm going to get another bottle or two to keep on hand.

Guru

Have had a bottle since it came out and I've tried it on several occasions but just can NOT get into it. Can't say offhand what I find disagreeable about it, but may try to put my finger on it tonight.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Bukes View Post
    Nose: It smells like my colleague's 1970s wood condo in Lake Tahoe, the kind that is still decorated with the original orange and avocado colored appliances.

Taste: It has a quick, sweet start then BOOMEXPLOSION. After that, it mellows for a second and tastes like a cabinet.

Finish: That cabinet is subsequently lit on fire and smolders in your throat.

Overall: This bourbon uses your uvula like a punching speedbag. If that's your thing, you'll like it. I didn't, but one of the other TWS SelectLadiesTM did.
    You should post tasting notes more often.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Alphanumeric View Post
    You should post tasting notes more often.
    That's my plan!

Daisy Bukes

Advanced Taster

Ok.. I opened my first bottle of the Small Batch last night.. It was rather hard for me to give an honest opinion then as I had downed some Weller Antique.. So tonight I poured a nice size pour and then took my time. I liked the drink very well.. Not a lot of burn.. Went donw nice and smooth for my taste.. I then added and ice cube and it did allow more of the flavors to come out.. Overall a very nice Bourbon for the price and one I will buy again..

Advanced Taster

I bought one when it first came out, and did some SBSs vs the CEHT Single Barrel. Both pretty tasty, iirc, and I believe that I actually preferred the SmB, even without taking price into consideration (although I much preferred both the CEHT Barrel Proof and the Tornado to either SmB or Single Barrel). The SmB is one that I *would* buy again; however, on last night's Weller & Wine run, I paused by the CEHT section, and noticed a pronounced gap between the multiple CEHT Ryes and the CEHT Single Barrels: the SmB had been cleaned out! The dreaded "SB BOTM Effect," I suppose.

Enthusiast

I just discovered this bourbon a month or two ago and really enjoy it. I was intrigued with the other options in the Taylor line until I saw the prices and "settled" for the small batch. I'll probably buy it again once this bottle runs dry.