Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: BOTM 1/14: Colonel E H Taylor Small Batch

This is one I've enjoyed and am on my second bottle. On the nose, I get an initial hit of alcohol and that fruity BT rye with an undercurrent of caramel and a little peppery character. Most of that carries through on the palate, though the caramel steps forward a bit. The fruity element on the nose is more berry, but on the palate it's more date. I pick up some oak in the mid-palate but it's not overly woody. The peppery element from the nose is missing on the palate but returns on the finish, which is a bit more bitter than I would prefer but it's not unpleasant. To me, this is very good and similar to some of the good private barrels of BT I've had. If I had more access to those, those would be more appealing due to the price differential but I don't know of anyone in this area doing barrel picks. That said, I can see a third bottle of this in my future.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Advanced Taster

I finally had a bottle of this a few months ago. It's been too long to give any indepth tasting notes, but I do remember getting an overwhelming cinnamon red hot profile on the mid palate that seemed to drown out any of the more subtle fruity or sweet notes. At first I didn't care for it, but by the end of the bottle I had a certain appreciation for it. I just picked up a bottle of the single barrel for the first time and it seems much better balanced to me. I still get the cinnamon, but it's kept in check and you can really tast the sweeter notes; honey, caramel, burnt sugar. It has a nice, buttery texture that I'm really enjoying.

Taster

Finnaly picked a bottle of this up tonight. I'll have a sip tonight, and one more tomorrow. Then write up something about it.
    Hey, finally I can particapate in a BOTM! Yay!

Advanced Taster

Bought this in 2012 for $36; my immediate impressions was that it had a lot of orange nougat and was fairly easy drinking as a sipper but focused too much on the mid-range and sweet notes without enough bottom end. At the time I compared it to the 2012 OFBB, as both are citrusy, and preferred the OFBB as having greater oomph and complexity. Finally returning to this bottle, thanks to BOTM, I have been surprised at how much I am liking it. Seems to have more wood and grip than I recall, and performs marvelously in a strongly proportioned sour old fashioned. Has my respect now, certainly, and even has me wishing I had picked up a second bottle (there might be some around but I seem to recall the local shop increased the price steeply, to the same level as the other EHTs, which hopefully is just an error).

Guru

Acutally my paranoia has started kicking in and I've started bunkering all the CETH as my wallet allows because the price is not going to be lower anytime in the near future.

Connoisseur

Picked up another bottle of this today and when I got home I remembered why I don't buy it more often. That damn packaging. And I'm not talking about the cardboard condom it comes in, but that sticker strip across the top. I have to get out the Goof Off to get it clean after peeling it off. (yes, I'm anal about my bottles being clean of all those extraneous stickers.)

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by dcbt View Post
    Acutally my paranoia has started kicking in and I've started bunkering all the CETH as my wallet allows because the price is not going to be lower anytime in the near future.
    I finally found a bottle of CEHT small batch during a visit to my folk's place down in Charlotte. This stuff is hard to come by in NC; after seeing Tunnels post maybe I should have gotten all I could see on the shelf. $40/bottle for small batch, $70 for the rye, so the rye stayed on their shelf.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_NC View Post
    I finally found a bottle of CEHT small batch during a visit to my folk's place down in Charlotte. This stuff is hard to come by in NC; after seeing Tunnels post maybe I should have gotten all I could see on the shelf. $40/bottle for small batch, $70 for the rye, so the rye stayed on their shelf.
    I actually bought 11 bottles of the Tornado when it came out at $80 a bottle, I liked it that much. My wife complained a lot. I have seen it offered at $800 a bottle now! So who is complaining now. My wife. Why am I not selling the 9 bottles I have left at that price? You can't win.

Guru

You can only retreat, strategically.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    You can only retreat, strategically.
    Squire is a modern day Fabian.
    Eric