Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Enthusiast

Interesting changes to Old Potrero Rye

A friend is coming to town so I searched picked up the straight rye for us to share, this was essay: 10-SRW-ARM-K. I believe L is on shelves as well. Some interesting things I noticed is that it jumped up in proof from 90 to 97--how often do we see this happen these days??? After some research I deducted that the change was between versions I and H.

Also, there was usually an age statement on the back label's notes--I've seen 3+ years, and an earlier version had vattings of young and old. Not sure if they permanently went NAS, but this is 4 yrs or older then. The last I had was version G, and I can't remember if that had an age. Anyone with better notes out there?

Still one of my favorites (the straight rye, especially). It has its flaws, but the experience is so unique among all that's out there, I never seem to tire of it.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Connoisseur

Re: Interesting changes to Old Potrero Rye

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    A friend is coming to town so I searched picked up the straight rye for us to share, this was essay: 10-SRW-ARM-K. I believe L is on shelves as well. Some interesting things I noticed is that it jumped up in proof from 90 to 97--how often do we see this happen these days??? After some research I deducted that the change was between versions I and H.

Also, there was usually an age statement on the back label's notes--I've seen 3+ years, and an earlier version had vattings of young and old. Not sure if they permanently went NAS, but this is 4 yrs or older then. The last I had was version G, and I can't remember if that had an age. Anyone with better notes out there?

Still one of my favorites (the straight rye, especially). It has its flaws, but the experience is so unique among all that's out there, I never seem to tire of it.
    My open bottle says J, 97 proof, I cannot identify an age statement, only "straight rye" so with NAS and that designation, as I understand that means 4yrs.

It's chocolatey, full of dark malt character and a bit cedary, an improvement from earlier editions for sure, and I enjoy much more than the 18th century styles.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.