Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Redemption Barrel Proof 6yr Rye

This product showed up in Northern CA recently, but I haven't seen it discussed in the forums here. Has anyone ventured to try it? I believe the specs are: Barrel Proof (120.8), MGP rye mashbill, 6 years old, and is about $60. It's in a different bottle than the standard Redemption Rye offering.

Guru

Re: Redemption Barrel Proof 6yr Rye

Quote Originally Posted by Kpiz View Post
    This product showed up in Northern CA recently, but I haven't seen it discussed in the forums here. Has anyone ventured to try it? I believe the specs are: Barrel Proof (120.8), MGP rye mashbill, 6 years old, and is about $60. It's in a different bottle than the standard Redemption Rye offering.
    $60 seems a bold request from this NDP given that they haven't had any prior offerings that seemed particularly noteworthy and that the MGP sourced BP Willet ryes that are a bit younger but typically a good bit cheaper.

Heck, you can find Handy on occasion for close to that with a bit of luck!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I agree, bold request, but I'm starting to see the Willet FE 4 year stuff creeping up to $39.99 around here, so it might not be that much of a stretch. $10 bucks a year I guess.

All that being said, I didn't find much difference between the Willet 4 yr and 5 yr stuff I had, it would be interesting to see if Redemption and their 6 year product is much of a difference.

Guru

Well, it will be as different as any other 4 yr MGP compared to a 6 yr MGP. Insofar as I can see the only thing special about this bottle is barrel proof and for the price I would rather get half a case (6 bottles) of 6 year old 90-100 proof Bourbon under one of Heaven Hill's labels.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

Tried it didn't like it. Wasn't really bad but just meh and really not as good as RITTBIB which is still south of $20 around here.

Enthusiast

Been passing it up regularly around here, and I gather I will continue to do so. Not a ringing endorsement from TT. I feel pretty good with my collection for much less than $60 a bottle--WT 101, Ritt BIB, Baby Saz, Jeff 10, HW Rendezvous, etc.

Advanced Taster

Thank you all for responding. I agree that the asking price seems like a stretch, which is why I asked for SB input prior to buying. Considering that input, and knowing that TunnelTiger had a lackluster experience with it, I’ll leave this one on the shelf. Maybe I can give it a shot if I find it in a bar.

Thanks again.

Enthusiast

Thank you all for responding. I agree that the asking price seems like a stretch, which is why I asked for SB input prior to buying. Considering that input, and knowing that TunnelTiger had a lackluster experience with it, I’ll leave this one on the shelf. Maybe I can give it a shot if I find it in a bar.

Thanks again.
    Picked up a bottle of this for fun. I quite like it. Subtle orange aroma and spice with a good bit of smoothness for a 120 proof. Opens up in the glass nicely. I'd love to see it at $40, but the way everything else is going $60 isn't too bad. Is it a world beater? nooo, but I'm not sorry to have it on the shelf at all....
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Advanced Taster

RW - I appreciate you taking a chance on this rye and sharing your notes. It sounds like it is not objectionable at all, though maybe still overpriced. If I see it on sale somewhere I will give it a shot. How would you say it compares to other NDP ryes, like Willett FE 4 year?

Enthusiast

RW - I appreciate you taking a chance on this rye and sharing your notes. It sounds like it is not objectionable at all, though maybe still overpriced. If I see it on sale somewhere I will give it a shot. How would you say it compares to other NDP ryes, like Willett FE 4 year?
    I'll have to revisit some rye this evening and let you know. Thanks for the excuse to sit down and 'evaluate'
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most