Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 336
  1. #1
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,261

    Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

    It's winter so... I feel fortunate to find this to supplement the Mortlach portion of the bunker:



    Silver Seal Mortlach 21 #4246 @ 56.3%

    Happy New Year!
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 01-04-2014 at 12:25.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  2. #2
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,055

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

    Cutty Sark Prohibition. Big peat oriented flavours, malt driven but with some grain whisky to support. Reminds me of Cutty from a generation ago but amped up, eg. 100 proof. Excellent value.

    Gary

  3. #3
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Cutty Sark Prohibition. Big peat oriented flavours, malt driven but with some grain whisky to support. Reminds me of Cutty from a generation ago but amped up, eg. 100 proof. Excellent value.

    Gary
    I'm working my way through a review bottle of that myself. Quite tasty.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

  4. #4
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    523

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    I'm working my way through a review bottle of that myself. Quite tasty.
    I'm most of the way through my first bottle and am thinking about getting another. I have not seen it yet in WA so I may have to order one in.

  5. #5
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    373

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    It's winter so... I feel fortunate to find this to supplement the Mortlach portion of the bunker:



    Silver Seal Mortlach 21 #4246 @ 56.3%

    Happy New Year!
    Mortlach is the jam - I don't think there is a meatier whisky out there.

    I found a 2004 Talisker 25 OB on a shelf at 2004 prices. I know there were 21k bottles produced, but I've heard good things.
    Justin

  6. #6
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    466

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

    Bought a bottle of Compass Box's Great King Street Artist's Blend. Good enough to sip alone and amazing in mixed drinks requiring scotch.

  7. #7
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    873

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Bought a bottle of Compass Box's Great King Street Artist's Blend. Good enough to sip alone and amazing in mixed drinks requiring scotch.
    I thought this one was a solid value as well. Compass Box has a some interesting and tasty entries. A cool artisan kind of brand.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  8. #8
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    466

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I thought this one was a solid value as well. Compass Box has a some interesting and tasty entries. A cool artisan kind of brand.
    This particular bottling reminds me of Oban 14, but perhaps with a bit more citrus and an oilier mouthfeel. I am a huge compass box fan in general, and am glad to see this offering is better than expected.

  9. #9
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago 'burbs
    Posts
    1,076

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    A cool artisan kind of brand.
    Sounds like you're in marketing

    GKS is a very well-made blend at a great price. I enjoy the easy-going nature of the Artist's Blend, but the NY Blend brings it to the next level. I think the NY Blend is over-priced, but wholly unique and hard to resist.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

  10. #10
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    466

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Sounds like you're in marketing

    GKS is a very well-made blend at a great price. I enjoy the easy-going nature of the Artist's Blend, but the NY Blend brings it to the next level. I think the NY Blend is over-priced, but wholly unique and hard to resist.
    I've not had a chance to try the NY blend, but I hear it is good. Have you been able to get bottles of it, or just pours at the local whisky bar?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 633
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 16:14
  2. What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2013
    By OscarV in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1199
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 20:04
  3. What rye did you purchase today - Spring/Summer 2013
    By Wryguy in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 326
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 12:31
  4. Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?
    By JamesW in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 1414
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 20:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top