Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Pendleton 1910 100% Rye Canadian Whisky

I've searched, but not found much online about this whisky save for a couple online reviews that were mostly positive. The past couple times I've been in the local liquor store I've looked at this with slight intrigue but always put it back on the shelf. I tend to shy away from most canadian whisky due to addition of GNS, but the Pendleton 1910 doesn't state on the label if it has any GNS or not. None of the online reviews mention neutral spirits either.

If anyone has tried it, I'd like to get your thoughts on it. I tend toward high rye bourbons, and actually like MGPI's 95% rye mashbills, so being 100% rye (and 12 years old!) is tempting me to try it.

Eric

Guru

Re: Pendleton 1910 100% Rye Canadian Whisky

Eric perhaps I should mention no Canadian whisky contains any GNS. While it's true the base blending whisky is brought off the still at a high proof and is relatively neutral as far as taste goes, by law all whisky labeled as Canadian is aged in a barrel at least three years and of course any Canadian labeled 12 will contain no whisky younger than 12.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

I thought it was pretty meh, but I'm not a huge Canadian Whisky fan. Here were my notes:

Nose: Spicy with rye

Palate: Sweet rye, peppermint sticks; it just gets sweeter as you go along.

Finish: Candy sweetness with a touch of spice

This one had some nice spice but the sweetness became a bit overwhelming.

C+

At 100% rye, it could still be a blend, combining the base whiskies that Squire referred to with the flavor whiskies that come off the still at a lower proof.

http://www.lawhiskeysociety.com/whis...Pendleton-1910

Guru

It could also mean some of the whisky was aged in second use barrels, for at least 12 years of course.

Connoisseur

I bought a bottle several months ago after deciding I just had to learn something about Canadian whisky. Of the 20 or so I flagged after reading Davin de K's 'Canadian Whisky: The Portable Expert' this one caught my eye first.

Hadn't touched it since trying it neat one night and in a 2:1 Manhattan (w/Dolin's in the 1st one & M&R in the 2nd). Just refreshed my recollection with a neat pour or two before dinner.

In the Manhattans: better w/M&R as P's sweetness doesn't fit the subtler (to me) flavors in Dolins.

Neat: quick heat (a surprise in 80 proofer) goes away; slight acetic (?) smell w/hint of butterscotch.

Mid-palate reminded me of years ago when I smoked a pipe & sometimes got a taste of hot dottle - not terrible, just a slightly bitter note - giving way to light pepper.

Finish was light spice and disappeared quickly.

IN SUM - pretty simple and "light" for 12 year old stuff. Rumor has it that Alberta Distillers makes it but uses a special mash bill. How special is 100% rye? Pretty hard to change the %age. hahaha.

Was OK for a Canadian rye and I do mean that as a compliment. I hope a couple of the Canadian SBers chime in; they've helped me in the past.

Guru

I believe Harry is correct, the distiller is Alberta Springs, who is widely known for their 100% rye whisky. Of course the different brands they make don't all taste the same any more than all Heaven Hill whisky made from the same mashbill tastes the same.

Canadians are not limited by law in aging their whisky so long as it rests in a barrel for at least three years. New charred, toasted or reuse American Oak, European Oak, wine casks (sherry, port or others) even rum if they want. The combination of cooperage and warehousing choices provide a fascinating range of aging opportunities.

Connoisseur

Thanks, Squire. I expect the blog touting the specialness of the mash bill didn't consider the effect aging has. I should have put a "duh" in there. I was surprised at the absence of oak given the length of time it spent in barrels. If the barrels were NOT charred, would that explain it? Do you know if Canadian law says anything about "charred"? I can't remember. All in all,it was pretty thin and light for its age, leaving me wondering just how they did that.

Guru

Canadian law doesn't require charred barrels of any degree but of course they do use them. I don't think the use of refill barrels is purely economic, rather the Canadians are copying the Scottish model and are shooting for a lighter style of whisky as well.

Unlike the other Alberta-sourced ryes (WP, Madtersons, Jeff 10), this one does not say "straight" rye anywhere. Neither does it taste similar. Back when I was blogging, I didn't bother reviewing it as folks were tired of me trashing Canadian stuff, but while 100% rye, this tastes like sweet Canadian stuff aged in exhausted barrels. I poured the last half out as it was ruining perfectly good ginger ale.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

How does anyone know it was distilled from 100% rye grain?

From an image of the back label found on google I read: "100% Canadian Rye Whisky Handmade in Small Batches". That does not necessarily mean it was made using 100% rye grain (or any rye at all)! It probably means it is 100% "Canadian rye", which is the same as 100% "Canadian Whisky" since "rye" and "whisky" are synonymous terms in Canada.

Never assume that "100% Canadian Rye" means the whisky was made with rye. I have a bottle of Century Reserve 21yo that states on the front label: "Canadian Rye Whisky Canadien". This whisky was actually made from corn (100% corn, ZERO rye)
    Last edited by portwood; 03-16-2014 at 06:50.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire