Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

Picked these guys up at the launch event for the First Peated bottling. For 26 month old whiskey, they are quite good! I talked with Chris for a bit and he tells me their first single barrel, cask strength release will be soon. They are one of, if not the only, importer of sherry butts in the US and they use those, along with hogsheads, to mature their single malts. I can't wait for a cask strength single cask sherry, especially with another few years on it!

IMAG0516.jpg

Enthusiast

Springbank 10 from my honey hole for $53. It's $70 everywhere else, which is ridiculous, even if they do have their own malting floor, etc.
    Eric

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Springbank 10 from my honey hole for $53. It's $70 everywhere else, which is ridiculous, even if they do have their own malting floor, etc.
    It's not as ridiculous as, say, Talisker 10, which will be hard pressed to find for < $75 any day now. But $53 is a great price.

I nabbed a pair of Compass Box Great King Street NY Blend after the Binny's get together. I know I'll miss this when it's gone, so a bit of bunker padding was in order.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    It's not as ridiculous as, say, Talisker 10, which will be hard pressed to find for < $75 any day now. But $53 is a great price.

I nabbed a pair of Compass Box Great King Street NY Blend after the Binny's get together. I know I'll miss this when it's gone, so a bit of bunker padding was in order.
    Talisker 10 @ $75 is a pass. Especially considering my honey hole just discounted the 18 another 5 dollars to $84.99. I've got a bottle of it bunkered, but might have to consider putting another aside in case I want to drink it . . . ever again.

I'm really curious about the NY blend, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Can you think of anything that has a ballpark similar taste profile?
    Last edited by garbanzobean; 02-24-2014 at 17:59.
    Eric

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Talisker 10 @ $75 is a pass. Especially considering my honey hole just discounted the 18 another 5 dollars to $84.99. I've got a bottle of it bunkered, but might have to consider putting another aside in case I want to drink it . . . ever again.

I'm really curious about the NY blend, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Can you think of anything that has a ballpark similar taste profile?
    Yup on the Talisker 18. It's pretty much gone from Chicago, no doubt to return at around $130 up from $100.

As for a comparison to the NY Blend, I really have nothing to compare it to. Take the Artist's Blend and ramp up the peat in a couple of the single malt components, i.e. multiple shades of peat: some smoke, a little machine oil, some prickly earth. It's dirty but maintains the creamy aspect of the grain whisky. Singular stuff.

Also, been awhile since I've had it, so these notes are from memory.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

The mouthfeel on the NY blend is great, too. Shame it was a one off release, otherwise it'd be my go to everyday peated whiskey.
    Justin

Connoisseur

Got in a couple of bunker stocking orders.
    6 x Glendronach 12
    2 x Bruichladdich Rocks
    2 x JW Green Label 1L

I have 2 laddie 10's on the way, then I should be good for expressions that are disappearing or becoming "younger" in the near future.

Advanced Taster

Grabbed an Ardbeg Corryvreckan and a Powers Johns Lane. Read some old stuff on here abour the Corryvreckan and was persuaded when I saw it for $80 (at least $95 everywhere else I saw, and cheaper than Oogy). Is Corryvreckan an ongoing release? Just don't see it very much.
    Last edited by horn1602; 02-26-2014 at 07:00. Reason: Spelling....

Guru

Corryvreckan should be a regular NAS release (along w/ the Uigeadail). The 10 is the only other one available and according to Dr. Bill Lumsden, there are no plans to revive a 17yr expression.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Don't post in this thread because I don't drink much Scotch/Irish, but after tasting a pour in a bar a few weeks ago, I brought home an Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 39 today. I enjoyed the bar pour quite a lot, and it seems to maybe fit nicely as an after dinner dram.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel