Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Foreign Whisky of the Month - 01/2014: Glen Garioch

Happy New Year. Again. Seems to happen every 12, 365 or so.

This month's Foreign Whisky of the Month is Glen Garioch. A little obscure possibly, but one that has some great history behind it. I believe it was recently renovated, or at least had their offerings revamped, so I am anxious to hear what people have to say. Oh, and especially curious to hear if anyone has some of the early 70's peated stuff?!?
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 01/2014: Glen Garioch

The list I put up was sourced, in part, by looking at my local stores and knowing what they had in stock, then had to go and pick a distillery that they don't carry! Thankfully, due to some help from a fellow SBer, I happen to have a bottle of Glen Garioch on hand and will be pouring myself a dram tonight. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    The list I put up was sourced, in part, by looking at my local stores and knowing what they had in stock, then had to go and pick a distillery that they don't carry! Thankfully, due to some help from a fellow SBer, I happen to have a bottle of Glen Garioch on hand and will be pouring myself a dram tonight. Ha!
    Glad that will work out for you. I need to get something myself.
    C

but face to face

Guru

How to pronounce Glen Garioch:

¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

I'm sipping on the 12 year and so far I like it. First off it's nice that it's unfiltered and bottled at 48%, makes me think more highly of them right of the bat. As for the taste itself, I get banana, vanilla, maybe burnt coconut, and something sweet that I can't put my finger on. Almost like a wafer of some kind... All in all I'm pleased with this, I'm going to have to look into more offerings from this distillery.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    How to pronounce Glen Garioch:

I prefer the way he says Caol Ila. Makes me tingle a little. And, want to make it the FWoTM about every third month! Oh, so does the fact that I love me some Caol Ila.
    C

but face to face

Connoisseur

The Glen Garioch 1994 17 year old might be my favorite malt that I've tried this year. Layered sweetness, reserved barrel influence, superb balance and just delicious fruitiness on the finish, it is really a step up from their more standard fare. Highly recommended.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    The Glen Garioch 1994 17 year old might be my favorite malt that I've tried this year. Layered sweetness, reserved barrel influence, superb balance and just delicious fruitiness on the finish, it is really a step up from their more standard fare. Highly recommended.
    I went to a Glen Garioch event at Binny's last fall. I was impressed with the 1994 vintage 17yo, but the '86 vintage 26yo was really, really good. Can't say I'd fork over $250 for it, but it is a very tasty malt. I was also impressed with their virgin oak bottling, but again over-priced in my view.

Mmm, yeah, the more I think about it, that 26yo was pretty fabulous. My impression of the malt in general is that it reminds me of Balvenie but not as doused in sweetness. Reasonable quality but nothing very compelling in their standard line. The vintage stuff at CS is where it's at, but certainly not a bargain.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    I'm sipping on the 12 year and so far I like it. First off it's nice that it's unfiltered and bottled at 48%, makes me think more highly of them right of the bat. As for the taste itself, I get banana, vanilla, maybe burnt coconut, and something sweet that I can't put my finger on. Almost like a wafer of some kind... All in all I'm pleased with this, I'm going to have to look into more offerings from this distillery.
    I have a couple of offerings from them and they're both nice and actually pretty unique. Good balance and really good value at the prices at which they were purchased.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

If you want to taste Glen Garioch without spending a lot of money (I will likely be killed for this post)..try McClelland's Highlands for about $30. It is Glen Garioch at a youngish age and not bad at all.