Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 01/2014: Glen Garioch

I'm not a big fan of Glen "Geery". I tasted an older bottle at Whiskeyfest (the 17 I think) and it was alright. I also bought a bottle of the Founder's Reserve blindly and was disappointed - it sat on my counter for over a year until I took it to a party at a friends house an left it. I think there are better Highland malts out there, especially for the price.
    Justin

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Glen "Geery". I tasted an older bottle at Whiskeyfest (the 17 I think) and it was alright. I also bought a bottle of the Founder's Reserve blindly and was disappointed - it sat on my counter for over a year until I took it to a party at a friends house an left it. I think there are better Highland malts out there, especially for the price.
    The FR was merely OK. The 12 year (which I got for $26+ tax) was a great buy at the price. And McClellands is something like $18 around here, so if it tastes like GG, then it might be a buy at that price, but it's probably about 4 years old.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

This one reminds me of an ex-girlfriend who could be either a lot of fun or not.

I was introduced to Glen Garioch through one of the peated expressions made back in the 70s. I can't say the experience was pleasant. I presented it at a tasting and over the evening the guys around the table created a joke by pouring a drink from one of the other bottles then sliding the Garioch over to the next in line. The bottle kept getting passed around the table without anyone pouring it again after the first taste. It wasn't bad or anything, the problem was one of balance. The peat was harsh and a dominate influence, sort of like too much cayenne in a dish from someone just learning to cook cajun style. It was plainly discordant and badly out of tune.

My next introduction was an 8 yr expression I picked up on sale while traveling because it was cheap. Surprisingly good if a bit simple, light, floral, fairly complex and sorta fun. Something like the current Lismore for example.

Some years later I came across a 12 yr old and remembering the 8 picked it up for one of my tastings. Even better than the 8, richer, fuller, more complex and rich, turned out to be a big hit, so much that the tasters in that group started actively looking for Garioch when traveling in states where it may be available.

When McClelland came out with their single malt series word was the Highland expression was 9 year old Garioch so I got a bottle. Very good stuff, an excellent example of the dry, floral Highland style. Heather, hay, the only Malt I've tasted where I swear I could find lavender and violets. And it was bargain priced (my Scottish forebears would be proud).

Never got a chance to try the 10, 15 or older ones but McClelland's Highland Selection was and still is available locally. Problem is they have been reducing the age from 9 to 7 then to 5 I'm told, I just know the last bottle I bought (at least five years ago) was diminished in statue.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Sipping on the Glen Garioch Founder's Reserve while researching 50yrs of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition on NBC. It's better than expected really - nothing screams out at you but it's a good solid fruity malt... It could be I'm distracted by my TV screen though.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Sipping on the Glen Garioch Founder's Reserve while researching 50yrs of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition on NBC. It's better than expected really - nothing screams out at you but it's a good solid fruity malt... It could be I'm distracted by my TV screen though.
    I'm sorry to have missed that evening. Sounds like a treat for the senses in all respects.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I'm sorry to have missed that evening. Sounds like a treat for the senses in all respects.
    You didn't miss much - maybe some tequila spraying from headlights but nothing worthwhile really...
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Taster

Glen Garioch has an interesting history. It was one of the few Highland distilleries that still had a decent peat level by the 1960's. It closed in 1968 when the water source dried up. Morrision Bowmore bought the distillery in 1970 and secured a new water source. They finally reopened in 1973. At that time a new maltster was brought in. He trained on Islay and actually raised the peat levels. Over the next two decades the peat levels gradually decreased. I've read that there was some significant variation from batch to batch at times, but it sounds like there were significant drops in the peat level in 1975 and 1985. The distillery closed again in mid 1995. When it reopened in mid 1997, they did away with the traditional floor maltings and started buying unpeated malt.

I've had the 1994 17 year and really liked it. I think the mild peat adds a nice balance to the floral element. I've also had an 8 yr, it was an older bottle, but I think it was distilled after they switched to unpeated malt. It was okay; inexpensive but nothing special.

I'd really like to try the more heavily peated 1978 vintage bottling, as well as the 1990 vintage bottling which has some Sherry cask whisky in the mix.

Enthusiast

I tried the Founder's Reserve two weeks ago, and didn't like it very much at all. To the point where it's going to be a chore getting through it.

Flat and oily, would be how I'd describe the taste.

I haven't concluded that other Glen Gariochs won't be excellent, but the FR isn't my bag at all.

tbt

Connoisseur

Has anyone tried the Exclusive Casks (Seems to be a Total Wine offering) Glen Garioch 19 or 23? I'm not overly interested in the newer stuff, but peated highland malts generally fall into my "happy dance" territory.
    Eric