Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 195
  1. #31
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,881

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    I'm coming to Atlanta and stocking up on Lagavulin.

    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    I'm in Maryland, FWIW.
    For those prices I may be headed to Maryland myself! I would probably be greedy and clear out the Tally 18. It is now typically $120+ here
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  2. #32
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    889

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    For those prices I may be headed to Maryland myself! I would probably be greedy and clear out the Tally 18. It is now typically $120+ here
    You would be sorely disappointed, for the most part. Talisker 18 is cheap at 3 local stores: My TOP SEKRIT honey hole and both Total Wine stores in MD, but otherwise, prices are general high/normal. Aforementioned honey hole has those cheap prices, otherwise you can expect to pay MSRP or a bit above at 99% of location in MD. Laphroaig 16 is around $70-$80 most places, for example.
    Eric

  3. #33
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    147

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    You would be sorely disappointed, for the most part. Talisker 18 is cheap at 3 local stores: My TOP SEKRIT honey hole and both Total Wine stores in MD, but otherwise, prices are general high/normal. Aforementioned honey hole has those cheap prices, otherwise you can expect to pay MSRP or a bit above at 99% of location in MD. Laphroaig 16 is around $70-$80 most places, for example.
    Those Talisker 18 prices indicate the bottles have been sitting on the shelf since before last year's massive price hike by Diageo. I found one like that in Maryland, too, but you should be able to repeat the performance anywhere with low turnover on that item, if the store doesn't increase the price to match the current prices, as opposed to what they paid for it.

  4. #34
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,881

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by danz View Post
    Those Talisker 18 prices indicate the bottles have been sitting on the shelf since before last year's massive price hike by Diageo. I found one like that in Maryland, too, but you should be able to repeat the performance anywhere with low turnover on that item, if the store doesn't increase the price to match the current prices, as opposed to what they paid for it.
    Yeah, but takes a bit of luck these days.

    I did find a couple but haven't seen one locally under $100 in a while now. But I always look when I am out on a raid to a new store or area in hopes of scoring more!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  5. #35
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    329

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Glenmorangie Ealanta for around $110. I'm considering it, just not sure I want to spend the money on it.
    Ealanta reminds me of PHC 7th (or visa versa). Both are impressively drinkable with no detectable flaws, but neither have a "headline" flavor profile. I really like the Ealanta and reach for it a lot when I want a top quality no-drama pour. I would buy it again for $110.

  6. #36
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    147

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Talisker 10 at $65. I used to like this a lot ... in the mid $40s and grudgingly at a little over $50 last year. Diageo has found my limit.

  7. #37
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    Posts
    462

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Glengoyne 17 for $60. I'm not much into Scotch. Should I go back for it?

  8. #38
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Markham, ONT
    Posts
    535

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by savagehenry View Post
    Glengoyne 17 for $60. I'm not much into Scotch. Should I go back for it?
    If you're "not much into Scotch", why even consider it?
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

  9. #39
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    883

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by savagehenry View Post
    Glengoyne 17 for $60. I'm not much into Scotch. Should I go back for it?
    For $60, you can do better. Start lower and move your way up the ladder. Balvenie 12 year DW for $40 would be a better choice if you're just starting in Scotch.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

    There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

  10. #40
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    543

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    For $60, you can do better. Start lower and move your way up the ladder. Balvenie 12 year DW for $40 would be a better choice if you're just starting in Scotch.
    If only DW 12 was $40 around here...

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 335
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 20:52
  2. What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter/Spring 2012
    By CaptainQ in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 564
    Last Post: 06-24-2012, 07:18
  3. What Did You Pass Up Today? Fall 2010-Winter/Spring 2011
    By fishnbowljoe in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 321
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 15:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top