Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 169
  1. #101
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    190

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    PC10 Tro Na Linntean.

  2. #102
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisville, ky
    Posts
    1,174

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Arran Devils Punchbowl 2, The General and a Macallan 25 all at MSRP. I only chuckled as I could have grabbed the first two and case of 4R SB and still had money left over as opposed to buying the Macallan.

  3. #103
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,491

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    Arran Devils Punchbowl 2, The General and a Macallan 25 all at MSRP. I only chuckled as I could have grabbed the first two and case of 4R SB and still had money left over as opposed to buying the Macallan.
    We tried the Punchbowl I and II at the GBS Dark Side event a couple of weeks ago. Both were nice but I was much better than II. Unfortunately that is the cheapest of the bunch. But The General is pretty darn good despite the excessive cost. As for the Macallan, I would definitely take the case of Four Roses!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  4. #104
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    440

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Compass Box The General at two different stores, priced a little generously at $450. Generous to the stores, that is. The second store actually had the bottle laying on its side. My conversation with the cashier at that store as I was checking out: "Sir, I hope you don't mind me giving you a piece of advice, but if you are going to charge nearly $500 for a bottle of scotch, you might not want to store the bottle on its side. It'll start to disintegrate the cork and ruin the whisky in a few days." Clerk response "Oh sh!t, I'll find a better shelf to put it on. Thanks." And surprisingly, he moved it, setting it upright. No telling how long it had been sitting like that, though. So if any Maryland folk living in the DC/Baltimore area are considering purchasing a bottle of The General and want to know which store NOT to buy it at, please PM me and I'll tell you where that was.
    Eric

  5. #105
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    skokie illinois
    Posts
    193

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    I came so close to buying the glenmorangie 18y gift box for $100, but I had already bought 3 other bottles today and did not plan on spending that much has it was...
    Life is too short to drink bad bourbon and smoke bad cigars.

  6. #106
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle Area
    Posts
    521

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Compass Box The General at two different stores, priced a little generously at $450. Generous to the stores, that is. The second store actually had the bottle laying on its side. My conversation with the cashier at that store as I was checking out: "Sir, I hope you don't mind me giving you a piece of advice, but if you are going to charge nearly $500 for a bottle of scotch, you might not want to store the bottle on its side. It'll start to disintegrate the cork and ruin the whisky in a few days." Clerk response "Oh sh!t, I'll find a better shelf to put it on. Thanks." And surprisingly, he moved it, setting it upright. No telling how long it had been sitting like that, though. So if any Maryland folk living in the DC/Baltimore area are considering purchasing a bottle of The General and want to know which store NOT to buy it at, please PM me and I'll tell you where that was.
    How sure are you on that? It was my understanding that it would take months or years before any noticeable difference to the whisky could be detected. Though that doesn't mean the actual process of eating through the cork does not start immediately.

  7. #107
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    440

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    How sure are you on that? It was my understanding that it would take months or years before any noticeable difference to the whisky could be detected. Though that doesn't mean the actual process of eating through the cork does not start immediately.
    I am not sure at all, to be honest. I have some subjective evidence. For example, I set a Tullamore D.E.W. Phoenix on its side for a few days recently, and the cork was so bloated and fragile that it took quite a bit of muscle to get it out of the bottle, and I had to find a different cork to replace the one I pulled out. What I do know is that if someone is going to pay $450 for a bottle of anything, they deserve to have it treated respectfully, which this particular store is not known for doing (long and very different story). Would you pay a $150 premium for a bottle that you knew for a fact wasn't treated within the recommended guidelines for its type?
    Eric

  8. #108
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    44

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    What I do know is that if someone is going to pay $450 for a bottle of anything, they deserve to have it treated respectfully
    Amen to that. I was in a small, privately owned store late last year and was horrified to see a Port Ellen 8th Edition OB lying on its side in a glass display case. I politely informed the saleslady that storing the bottle like that could damage the cork and taint the whisky. She gave me a filthy look and proceeded to tell me that's how they've always displayed their 'premium' bottles. I replied that it's their bottle so they can display it however they like, but it just cost them a sale. Then I walked out and have never been back. It really annoyed me to see something which is so hard to come by (and which could provide someone with a good degree of pleasure) being ruined by pig-headed ignorance.

  9. #109
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Chicago Burbs
    Posts
    116

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    I recently went into a cruddy strip mall store which had basically nothing but bottom shelf offerings. The only bottle of interest was a Balvenie 21 Portwood. The clerk saw me looking at it and said he had another bottle of "expensive" whiskey. He the showed me his glass case, and there was a bottle of Mac 25, laying on its side and in direct sunlight, for $499 with a big 33% off sticker on it. I asked him how long its been in the case like that and he replied, for 3-4 years. I didn't say anything and left, despite the price. There was no point in advising him that the bottle shouldn't be on its side or right by the window because if he stood it up/moved it, some other hunter might drop 5 bills on a potentially ruined bottle. If a shop owner doesn't know enough about whiskey to display it properly, just let them continue to be ignorant because it puts potentially bad bottles in the market for later purchasers

  10. #110
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,714

    Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

    I think these corks are a good deal tougher than we credit but I also believe storing a bottle of whisky on it's side is akin to driving a car without ever changing the oil. Eventually it catches up.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 335
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 19:52
  2. What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter/Spring 2012
    By CaptainQ in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 564
    Last Post: 06-24-2012, 06:18
  3. What Did You Pass Up Today? Fall 2010-Winter/Spring 2011
    By fishnbowljoe in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 321
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 14:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top