Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

Past on some old bottlings of Glenmorangie 18 and 12 sherrywood.

Guru

Not sure if it was special or not (and in too big a hurry to research at the time), but left an older-looking bottle (different shape than the current, more of a typical round bottle shape) of HP15 and HP18 behind in Miami. Unfortunately not enough room in my carry-on with the other stuff I grabbed.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Not sure if it was special or not (and in too big a hurry to research at the time), but left an older-looking bottle (different shape than the current, more of a typical round bottle shape) of HP15 and HP18 behind in Miami. Unfortunately not enough room in my carry-on with the other stuff I grabbed.
    The European market for older bottles means you missed out on a roughly $230-$280 secondary sale I suppose (assuming you travel internationally and whiskybase is accurate), but the Ralfy types of the world seem to think older HPs had a lot more caramel coloring in them than the current version. Unless you are a huge Highland Park fan, I don't think you should lose sleep over it. The current bottling of HP18 is still quite good. I have a similar bottle of HP12 that I'm going to open at some point. I'm expecting slightly better integrated sherry notes (as in a less vinegary nose and arrival, prior to serious aeration), but not much in the way of overall added value.
    Eric

Connoisseur

Passed up on Talisker 25 and 30 (the watered down bottlings), somehow stopped my hand from grabbing a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for $44.99; Macallan 30 and Glenlivet 40 for some ungodly large prices. Additionally, I thought about purchasing a Springbank 15 with older packaging, but a fairly high price ($130 or so) and some musings I've read on the interwebz about late 80s/early 90s Springbank distillate tasting "off" compared to the newer stuff stayed my hand. I'll do some more poking around the net and see if I can get better info. Those bottles have been hanging out for at least a year, so I'm not concerned about them disappearing.
    Last edited by garbanzobean; 09-03-2014 at 13:32.
    Eric

Advanced Taster

Went hunting in a new area the other day and picked up Arran Devil's Punchbowl first release and old label HP 12.

Enthusiast

Passed up a bottle of 1980 macallan 18 gran reserva. Owner was asking 450 for it...he knows nothing about whiskey and the store he has it consigned at will never find another buyer for it, I think I will chop away at him until he sells it to me for the price of a current bottle of macallan 18. It is only "fair"

Enthusiast

Passed up Talisker 18 at $105. Probably the best price I'm going to see it at now, but I remember paying $79 for it a little too recently.
    Andrew

Connoisseur

Ardbeg Supernova for $189. I was already really iffy at $159, and the extra $30 pushed me over the edge. Soooo many other things I'd rather have at that price.
    Eric

Guru

Saw 2 (or 3) bottles of The General on the shelf (and priced at $299.99).

First thought was "Damn, I only have one - maybe I should bunker this?"

Second thought was "Do I have $300 or $600 laying around that I forgot about?", which unfortunately made the first thought moot

20140918_091012.jpg
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Those of us at the Gazebo the previous few nights saw Fricky's decanter-style bottle of Old Charter 10 from 'way back when' eventually be drained away............. (I now pause to shed a silent tear for it's passing).
    What a finely balanced and wonderfully nuanced pour it was. One of the 'best' pours on a table that offered more than a few very nice ones.
    A great pleasure to have had the chance to taste a little bit of it... THANX, Fricky!