Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Novice

I just discovered bourbon

Hi I am new to Bourbon and to whiskey in general. For most of my drinking years I have been a beer man (and would still consider beer to be my primary drink of choice). But about a year ago I became friends with a person who is a devout whiskey drinker(a JD man himself)who had decided to prosthelatise the virtues of whiskey. (or is it whisky? I can't seem to keep the distinction strait) His drinks are always either Jack or some form of Scotch and he got me to appriciate scotch to a lesser extent (never enough to want to buy a bottle though, and he never really got me to like Jack). But being the good child of the internet age that I am I started looking around the internet for items on whiskeys and I found this web site. Very longs and winding story with several totaly unrelated twists and turns later, I decided I wanted to go out and try some bourbon. So aremed with the few small pieces of information that I had gleened for this discussion board I went down to my local bar and took a look at thier bourbon selection. They had Jim Beam White, Makers Mark, and Knob Creek. Ok so I knew that the white label was out of the question based on the general idea on the boards that it is a very...simple bourbon. So I went for the Knob Creek based puerly on gut instinct.
    I really liked it. I think it was the first whiskey I had ever tried that I had truely enjoyed the way I might have enjoyed a good bottle of wine. I wish I had taken notes so that I might be able to give a more detailed account of my experiance. I do remember distinctly smelling a very plesant vanilla/honey scent and it having the vague taste of freshly ground cinnamon. Ok so the question is, where do I go from here? I have spent the last several hours doing searches and looking for info but the best I can come up with is that Knob Creek is similar to Jim Beam Black lable, and that it is fairly middle of the road as far as rye content is concerned. But where does that leave me? I do kind of regret no going back and getting a shot of Makers Mark to compair the Knob Creek to, but... well the Bartender was this really cute girl who was very impressed that I (at my young age) drank Knob Creek and I didn't want to let on that I was only doing a tasting experiment. But are there any suggestions as to how I should proceed? I am willing to buy a bottle or two (maybe three )but cant spent more than about $20- $25 per and if I can find something in the $15 or less range that would be even better. I was thinking maybe I should try some a couple thazt are radicaly different and a couple that are fairly similar, but I'm not sure what these would be. Can I get some starter suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Nick

Guru

Re: I just discovered bourbon

Hmm, 2 or 3 bourbon's that are under about $25 and that I can think of as being readily available... Give Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve, Evan Williams Single Barrel, and if you can find it wherever you are Buffalo Trace. Just 3 bourbon's I really like and are decently priced. There's so many more I could recommend but these 3 just popped into my mind. Watch out, you'll get tons of help with suggestions for under $25 bourbon's here, haha. Enjoy whatever selections you make and let us know how you like whatever you choose.

Oh yes, one more readily available bourbon I'm sure people will mention, Old Forester. I like the 100 proof.

Guru

Nick,

Welcome aboard!

... well the Bartender was this really cute girl who was very impressed that I (at my young age) drank Knob Creek and I didn't want to let on that I was only doing a tasting experiment.
    You missed a great opportunity to show her how open-minded and adventuresome you are. They love that sort of guy -- or at least they did 40 years ago, when I was still on the lookout.

Seriously, here are my suggestions.

Old Granddad BIB -- This will show you what rye is all about, at a very reasonable price. Sometimes it's hard to find the BIB; don't settle for the 86 proof without checking Hi Time in Costa Mesa.

Old Weller 12 y/o -- IMO, the best of the low-priced wheaters, certainly more enjoyable, to me, than that red-wax brand.

Flip a coin: Wild Turkey 101 or Old Forrester 100 -- Both have their fans. I don't recall hearing of anyone who doesn't like one or both. Both are made with rye, but it doesn't jump out at you as it does in OGD. Personally, I favor the WT, but part of that may be blind brand-loyalty on my part.

BTW, those of us willing to admit being crochety old farts would appreciate seeing a double-carriage return now and then in a long post. (I have to admit it; I sure as Hell can't deny it. )

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

I agree with the recommendations the others have made. I would like to add a few more:

Elijah Craig 12 year old

Old Grand Dad 114 proof

Wild Turkey 101 proof (it may have already been mentioned)

Depending on prices where you live, you might find Woodford Reserve for $25 (it is $30, here, but my prices are very high)

Tim

Novice

Thanks guys,
    Tonight I'll go out and try to pick up a couple of these sugestions. I'll let you know what I think. I have Mondays off of work so I will have plenty of time to do a tasting .

Thanks also for the suggestion of Hi Time Dave, nice to know there is a person from my neck of the woods on here who can give me advice on where to shop. I probably won't be hopping down to Costa Mesa in the next couple of days, (I live all the way up north in the SF Valley) but I have a friend who lives in Huntington Beach and a Grandfather in Irvine, so I will drop by the next time I go out to visit one of them.

BTW, those of us willing to admit being crochety old farts would appreciate seeing a double-carriage return now and then in a long post. (I have to admit it; I sure as Hell can't deny it. )

And my deepest most humble apologies for not double spacing (or spacing at all) between paragraphs in my first post. I don't have a good excuse, I just forgot to go back and put the breaks in after I was done with the spell checking. At least I didn't keep my CAP lock on.

Thanks again for the help.
    Nick

Guru

At least I didn't keep my CAP lock on.
    Thank God for that! Isn't that one of the most annoying things to try and read... Sounds like you'll be having a fun ol' time tonight Nick! Let us know how it all goes.

Administrator in exile

My suggestions would include:

Old Weller 12yo ($15)
    Evan Williams Single Barrel ($22)
    Old Forester 86 proof (100 proof if you can find the black diamond label) ($13)
    Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve ($23)
    Ancient Ancient Age 10yo ($12!!)

hope you enjoy the journey

Guru

Nick,

Given:
    I have Mondays off of work so I will have plenty of time to do a tasting .
    and:
    (I live all the way up north in the SF Valley)
    You may be interested in this place in Van Nuys. Their web site is next to useless for bourbon buyers, but at least it has contact information. I've been there a couple of times with my son. (He takes me with him to the Valley on sales calls sometimes, just for kicks.)

He has a lot more fun browsing the huge s----h and wine sections than I do browsing their spotty bourbon selection. (In truth, I sometimes scan the s----h section, myself. Last trip they had a great buy on Famous Grouse in the 1.75 L. bottle.)

Nevertheless, I usually find a bottle or two of bourbon I can use. Last trip it was Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 y/o and Rock Hill Farms, both favorites of mine, although not similar.

Some time in the future, when you are up to buying several bottles of mid-priced and above bourbon, you may find it economical to avail yourself of the huge selections offered by Sam's Wine & Spirits or Binny's , both of which are happy to ship from Chicago to L.A.

I'm not sure where the break-even point would be with bottlings in the under $20 range, but a half dozen or so bottles at $25 and above can easily cost less shipped in, considering price differences, sales tax, and shipping cost all together. Of course, the main advantage is selection. Binny's was my source for last year's Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon.

Yours truly,
    Dave "My eyes are doing better today, thank you!" Morefield

Guru

Do most of the LB's have the new Black Diamond 100 proof around there Jeff?

Guru

Jeff,

Ancient Ancient Age 10yo ($12!!)
    Shame on you for teasing us Kal-ee-forrr-nee-uns! I've never even found an out-of-state source that will ship to CA, much less a local source. I think someone may have mentioned that it's sold only in Kentucky and one or two other states (not including Illinois, home of Sam's and Binny's, sad to say).

If someone can enlighten me to the contrary, I will be in your debt.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield