Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Cork vs Synthetic cord vs screw tops

If natural cork deteriorates what are its advantages vs synthetic cork or screw top?

Connoisseur

Re: Cork vs Synthetic cord vs screw tops

I think the main advantage is that it seems fancy.
    Andrew

Connoisseur

Harder to cut your fingers or lips with natural cork or synthetic cork. Looks meaner when you pull it with your teeth.

Edit: seriously, I think it's a combination of tradition and marketing. Corks were used back when bottles were refilled from barrels in the storeroom, and screwtops were not widely available to replace bent/lost caps that might or might not fit different sized bottles or bottles with different threads. Nowadays, I think TT is correct - it is more marketing and design than picking the one that seals better.
    Last edited by Harry in WashDC; 12-13-2014 at 16:05. Reason: Getting serious for a change

Guru

Could it be loyalty to a long time supplier or maybe even a subsidiary?

Guru

Could it be loyalty to a long time supplier?

Disciple

I remember buying my first bottle of Weller and thinking "oh boy, this is some cheap stuff because it has a screw cap." Obviously, I was wrong. While corks seem classy, I wish distilleries would all go to screw caps.
    Last edited by mbroo5880i; 12-13-2014 at 18:05.

Guru

I cannot thing of any advantage natural cork possesses but I can think of some disadvantages.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

I think it has to do with marketing primarily; at one point a "screw top" implied a lower priced/lower quality pour. I think you are seeing this trend being bucked in some cases though (I was elated that the HHSS was a screwtop and not a stinking cork!) I think it will take time though. JB switched to screw tops for KC, but then claimed to have an uproar from fans so they went back to corks. I missed the uproar, and think they pulled the trigger too soon on rolling back (it wasn't like the MM Revolt, as it should come to be known). The tour guide at JB was candid - screw tops are cheaper to buy, cheaper to install, and have less failures - but "the market spoke and we listened".
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Synthetic corks won't expand/contract with the bottle - cork will. Not an issue if your storage temps are stable, and I would guess less of an advantage over time if the cork dries out. Synthetics are cheaper than cork, so there's that cost advantage in the packaging.

A screw cap is probably best if done well (some deform) - especially since (presumably) you are opening & closing more frequently than say a single pull or temporary re-corking on a wine bottle that will be emptied fairly quickly.

I agree the packaging choice has more to do with aesthetics and marketing. If there is an advantage to micro-oxygenation of unopened whiskies over time (old bottle effect) I'd guess it is less likely to occur in a well-sealed screw cap than with cork closures...
    Mark

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    A screw cap is probably best if done well (some deform) - especially since (presumably) you are opening & closing more frequently than say a single pull or temporary re-corking on a wine bottle that will be emptied fairly quickly.
    My point exactly. I hear that some screw caps even have an oxygen scanenger added that would help keep the bourbon fresher longer.