Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Straight Edge bourbon

Several different sources mentioned this new brand to me today. From what little I can find it sounds like another sourced bourbon by an NDP from the wine world (David Phinney) that wants to get a piece of the current bourbon frenzy. 5yo sourced bourbon that is finished in cabernet wine casks it appears. But I can find out very little about it to include the true source. Has anybody else heard anything about it? It gets a brief mention in Sku's amazing list of NDP's but that is about all I can find about it.

Bin to Bottle, Napa, CA. This company mostly bottles wine for other labels, but are also planning on releasing Straight Edge Bourbon under the Splinter Group label.

Apparently it has now been released...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Re: Straight Edge bourbon

Haven't heard much either, Bruce.

Looked up the COLA details and didn't find anything useful except the bottling DSP, which is CA-15072.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...14213001000322
    Tyler

Connoisseur

It's also worth mentioning that the COLA classifies it as a Straight Whiskey, but there is no mention of age on the label. We know it's at least 4 years, so your findings of 5 years seem certainly plausible.
    Tyler

Enthusiast

Label has finished and bottled by information, but not distilled by. Also no information about the finishing, which you'd think would be something to mention to justify a higher price. Interesting.
    "We're wanted men! we'll strike again! But first, let's have a beer" -- J Buffett

Novice

Assuming that the price tag is not outrageous, I will likely buy this one purely for the (unintentionally?) ironic label/brand name. To be consumed exclusively while listening t my old Minor Threat records of course.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by tylermke View Post
    It's also worth mentioning that the COLA classifies it as a Straight Whiskey, but there is no mention of age on the label. We know it's at least 4 years, so your findings of 5 years seem certainly plausible.
    This is likely a TTB mistake (and very common). The TTB fills in the class type, you can look and it see it's the dark grey area marked TTB use only. For some strange reason, the producers do not get to submit the class type, the TTB decides and they often decide very wrong. The product itself is just labeled Bourbon Whiskey. I'm sure this product is sourced whiskey and in violation of 5.36 (d).

Guru

I'm sure Wade is correct.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

I am making a concious effort to leave all these new craft bottles on shelf until I see a whole lot of positive feedback here. There are jsut so many now on the shelves around here that I can't keep up with them.

Enthusiast

Haha, Straight Edge Bourbon is an oxymoron to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_edge
    "Straight edge is a subculture and subgenre of hardcore punk whose adherents refrain from using alcohol, tobacco, and other recreational drugs."

Guru

I saw it on the shelf yesterday. The label has less info than I can find on the web which isn't much and as noted is almost certainly not 5.36 (d) compliant as there is no state of distillation and can't imagine it was sourced from California. Doesn't even note what it is finished in which seems odd. Also didn't appear to have given much thought to how the label was slapped on there!

Straight Edge 1.JPGStraight Edge 2.JPGStraight Edge 3.JPG

Maybe at $25 I would buy just to try it but for $45 I didn't give it any consideration. They do at least say "finished and bottled" rather than "produced" on the label.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum