Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Taster

What's your consumption?

I drink quite a bit of wine, along with various spirits including scotch, cognac, sipping rum, gin, Spanish Brandy, and Calvados, so I estimate my Bourbon consumption to be less than one bottle per month.

I recently took stock of my Bourbon collection and found 40+ unopened bottles of RR101, WLW, McKenna BIB, ETL private barrel selection, Pappy 15, Eagle Rare 17, Jefferson 18, EH Taylor, Weller 12, plus a few stragglers along with the 11 opened bottles I have....and I'm wondering why I'm so interested in Bourbon since I have enough to last for more than 4 years at current consumption rates.

I'm thinking that more than a few of you rabid Bourbon suckers must be going though 2-3 bottles a month or more....so fess up...what's yer Bourbon consumption rate?

Guru

Re: What's your consumption?

For planning purposes, I typically estimate about 1 bottle a month. I currently have 60 open bottles (750s or larger) and more than a dozen smaller/open bottles (not to mention unopened bottles!). I like variety and want to try everything. What I learned in the last two years is I can't afford to try everything There are months where I may go through 30+ oz, but there are months (like this one) where a cold or some such thing limits me to maybe 10 oz a month.

My current estimate is I could never buy another bottle, and continue at the current pace for a little over 7 years before running dry.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

I'm not as much a planner and analyzer as my son (darylld)... I'm too lazy.
    I think I probably have about as much, and drink it more slowly on average than he does; but I guess that I consume a bit under 3/4 of a 750 bottle a month. What are your current favorite pours, Oboe?

Guru

I'm not up to one bottle one serving yet but I do tend to buy the family size.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

I keep about 15-20 open (that's all I can fit on my shelf!) and another 8-10 unopened in reserve. But I "only" go through 1-2 bottles a month I'd say. I'll start with a pour of a single barrel and then have a pour or two of an everyday bottle, and try to limit my consumption to weekends. I save the rare stuff for special occasions only (or at least try to!)

Enthusiast

Yikes I have a feeling this thread is going to make me feel pretty bad about myself. I have about 25 bottles open and another 15-20 unopened. I would say that I go through about 3/4 of a 750 per week. For a while there it was about 1-1.5 bottles per week but I am trying to "slow down". Ok let me hear all of your comments about my liver...

Disciple

Gonna make you feel a little better ggg, I go through 1 - 2 750's per week.

At my age I think I've earned the right to enjoy what I enjoy, when I enjoy it.

It also helps that MrsTT doesn't object.

Enthusiast

Wow, I've been pondering the question for a while, and it's really hard to tell. Since I've become an, uh, enthusisast (that's what I'm calling it these days), I've been acquiring bottles at a far more prodigious rate than I've consuming them, and I've got at least 25-30 bottles open at this time. So I don't polish off that many as I spread my attention around. In the last year I've actually finished 7-8 bottles, but a couple I had already been working on for awhile, one was largely consumed by my poker buddies, etc. I also don't drink much, if at all, during the week (although that can vary as well).

All that said . . . likely at least the equivalent of a 750 a month. And I may be fooling myself there, but if that estimate is accurate, I could not buy another bottle and go at least 5 years without running out. I'm not sure what that tells me about myself, but I suppose if I got reflective, I could come up with something.

Enthusiast

About 1 750 a week when only drinking bourbon, less if I mix in some wine or beer. I also share a fair amount of whiskey with friends. I have at least a 3 year supply if I don't buy another bottle. I keep about 30 open bottles and tend to mix them up unless working one down to make space.

Guru

about an ounce a day, so maybe a 750 a month. I have enough for 2 years on hand at that rate.