Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cocktail Nazis

Taster

Cocktail Nazis

I love a good bourbon sipped neat, but I hardly ever pour it over rocks, maybe because the cold makes the spirit taste too dry for my palate.

If I want it cold, then I whip up a cocktail, with my faves being the Manhattan and Old Fashioned. On a hot day, a Bourbon Buck serves quite nicely to beat the heat in style and with flavor.

On the cigar forum that I frequent, when somebody mentions making a cocktail with bourbon, there are a couple of guys with apparently limited palates who think that it is a SACRILEGE to mix "good" bourbon with anything...what am I supposed to do?...keep shitty bourbon around for cocktails?

I try to ignore their pathetic jack-booted tirades and just pass it off as a limited education...

Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy cocktails made with high-proof bourbons like Booker's, WLW, RR101, WT101, OFBIB, ORWV 107, etc...

=================================

PostScript: being the Newbie I am, I apparently missed the fact that this prolly should have gone in the Cocktail room...my bad!
    Last edited by Oboe Cadobro; 01-08-2014 at 10:04. Reason: An attack of Noobishness!

Re: Cocktail Nazis

My dad often tells a story at deer camp that has some bearing here. When he was in high school football in the 60's he and his buddies noticed another player washing himself very judiciously in the shower after practice. The young man noticed the other boys snickering and said "It's my cock and it's my soap and I'll wash it just as fast as I want!" So, in other words, it's your bourbon. Do what you want with it.

Enthusiast

Quality in, quality out.

Trippah and Admin

Moved to the Cocktails forum for further discussion.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Oboe, apparently there are some folks who can't seem to build themselves up without tearing something/someone else down. To put something as plebeian as whisky on a pedestal strikes me as downright silly. What, they won't let their friends mix a drink with the good stuff? If that's true perhaps they should be hanging out with a better class of people.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Taster

I agree, better whiskey, better mixed drink.

Guru

Pudsky's correct and his statement is easily proven. Mix two identical cocktails using the ordinary and the good stuff. Sometimes the difference is remarkable.

Virtuoso

I agree - in fact my favorite drink is .. "Pappy 20 on the rocks please, hold the rocks, hold the glass."

Connoisseur

A well crafted cocktail highlights the quality of the alcohol used to make it. Said cocktail will never be as good as it can be without quality ingredients. People who use shitty alcohol in cocktails are subscribing to the penny wise, pound foolish school of bourbonomics. That or they are just trying to cover the taste up by drowning everything in sugar.

Guru

I respect everyone's opinion on the subject and understand my close friend's admonition that it really doesn't matter because "You're just gonna mix it anyway". I suspect though his attitude may be somewhat tempered by a long marriage to a lady who likes her drinks very sweet and without a trace of alcohol taste.

I however strongly subscribe to the junk in junk out rule.