Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Another Hello From DC!

I've been reading the forums as a lurker for a while now, so I figured it's time for me to join in on the fun.

My enjoyment of bourbon started in June, 2013 during the week of my wedding. My father in-law bought a bottle of Blanton's and a few bottles of Scotch for me and the groomsmen to enjoy. I was instantly hooked on the Blanton's and soon bourbon became my spirit of choice.

I still have a long way to go in developing my bourbon palate, but my favorites that I've had the opportunity to try so far (besides Blanton's) are OFBB13 (such an awesome flavor and a bottle that I actually own), Willett 9 Year (Paul Robeson), GTS 2012 (nothing has warmed me up faster!), ORVW, John J. Bowman, and my go-to daily sipper, Buffalo Trace.

I hope to continue to learn on this forum and hopefully provide some meaningful commentary in the future!

Guru

Re: Another Hello From DC!

Hey J, welcome aboard, look forward to your comments.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Welcome to the board, J-Brew! Glad to have you join in the conversation. Have FUN!!!

Apprentice

Thanks for the warm welcome. The amount of information in this place is unbelievable!

Virtuoso

Welcome, J-Brew. DC is a great town.

Advanced Taster

Blanton's is a great place to start for you, J (and, happily, seems unlikely to be discontinued anytime soon). Welcome to the forum and enjoy your journey -- may you and your f-i-l have many years' worth of whisk(e)y-drinkin' ahead of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskwar View Post
    Blanton's is a great place to start for you, J (and, happily, seems unlikely to be discontinued anytime soon). Welcome to the forum and enjoy your journey -- may you and your f-i-l have many years' worth of whisk(e)y-drinkin' ahead of you!

Thank you. Are you originally from the Columbus, Ohio area? I noticed the Cbus mention in your location. That's where I grew up and where most of my family still lives.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by J-Brew View Post
    Thank you. Are you originally from the Columbus, Ohio area? I noticed the Cbus mention in your location. That's where I grew up and where most of my family still lives.
    Yup. Born on Campus in '73, and lived across from Northland Mall (RIP, I guess) 'til '79--the liquor store I walked to w/ my dad in the '70s still stands there on Morse Rd. Then, '79 to '89 was Worthington, including 2 yrs. @ WHS (before WKHS/TWHS was a thing). Many fond memories there. Been in TX since '89. My wife's a Dayton native, and both sides of both fams are scattered across OH, so we're back there pretty often--in fact, we were just up for a week at Xmas, and came back w/ some cheap ETL (now hard to find in TX at any price). What area of Capital City are you and your peeps from?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskwar View Post
    Yup. Born on Campus in '73, and lived across from Northland Mall (RIP, I guess) 'til '79--the liquor store I walked to w/ my dad in the '70s still stands there on Morse Rd. Then, '79 to '89 was Worthington, including 2 yrs. @ WHS (before WKHS/TWHS was a thing). Many fond memories there. Been in TX since '89. My wife's a Dayton native, and both sides of both fams are scattered across OH, so we're back there pretty often--in fact, we were just up for a week at Xmas, and came back w/ some cheap ETL (now hard to find in TX at any price). What area of Capital City are you and your peeps from?

I grew up on the east side, Whitehall, to be exact. Went to school K-12 in Whitehall (graduated in 2000), ended up going to Capital University, and soon after left for the east coast for more schooling and a job. Most of my family still lives on the east side of town, but now in Pataskala and Blacklick. I was in Columbus myself for Christmas. (It's always nice going back for a bit.) No bourbon purchases for me, but I did pick up some beers that are hard to find here.

Enthusiast

Welcome, as you are probably aware by now NoVA/DC/MD have a pretty great selection of bourbons to choose from.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....