Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Advanced Taster

Back afer a Verl Long Absence.

Ok Good Evening.. I am not even sure where to even start.. I know this is a Thread that is Titliled New to Straight Bourbon.. And is a way I am New Again.. Many years ago back in the year 2001 or there abouts.. I was very active on Straight Bourbon..At that time I had a rather decent size Bourbon Collection.. I had all of the various Van Winkles and Several bottles of both the 16 & 20 year Hirsch.. I had acquired these on several trips to Kentucky. I had several talks at that time with Brian Hue of Cork and Bottle and had talks via e-mails with Julian Van Winkle and Ken Weber who at the time was the brand manager at Buffalo Trace..Then Some health issues kinda stopped my dead in my tracks.. Now I am healthy and I kinda figured why not get back to having a drink now and then and see what is going on in the World Of Bourbon.. Wow was I shocked to see some of the prices that BTAC and Van Winkle Hirsch's are bringing these days. Heck i remember buying 15 year Pappy for $80 a bottle BTAC was in the $40 per Bottle range.. $85 for the Hirsch Bourbons.. I have e-mails going back and forth with Julian Van Winkle where I sent Julian $175 for two bottles of 20 year and that included shipping.. My oh my have things have changed.. Right now I am starting to ask myself if there is a market for Bourbon as an Investment and collectible.. So for the heck of it I have started to knok on some old contacts doors to try and get a feel for what is good etc.. I am starti9ng to get feelers out and will start to acquire what I can at this time and see what the future brings.. Along the way I will enjoy my Bourbon and Coke after a Neat tasting to see if I can refine the once great taste sense I once thought I had.. I have acquired Cask Strength Angel Envy, Four Roses 2013 Limited Edition Single Barrel. 2013 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon.. More than one of each along with a couple of Bottles of Old Rip Van Winkle.. I figure that is a good start for being out of touch for so Long.. I do have some everyday pours.. Weller Antique 107,, 12 Year Weller. Eagle Rare 10 Year. Four Roses Single Barrle and John J Bowman Sigle Barrel.. I am try8ing hard to get some Elijah Craig Barrel proof.. So for now I will post on ocassion as I explore this wonderful world of Bourbons again. Creggor

Virtuoso

Re: Back afer a Verl Long Absence.

Welcome back Craig ... you must feel a bit like Old Rip himself waking up after a 20 year nap!
    Mark

Guru

Welcome back indeed, much has changed, much has stayed the same.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    Welcome back Craig ... you must feel a bit like Old Rip himself waking up after a 20 year nap!
    I kinda do feel like Old Rip himself.. I will take it slow and easy as I feel my way back into this..Creggor

Connoisseur

Welcome back to the board, Creggor.
    Personally, I seek my Bourbons for drinking purposes only. I don't see the point of buying something so tasty ... and not drinking it!
    ...But, that's just me. Glad you've returned. Have Fun!