Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

Customer relations......wow.......

So, out of curiosity, I sent an email to D_____, per the 'contact us' button on their own web page, asking if their 9 and 14 year whiskies are something they plan to keep releasing or if it was just a one time thing. Here's the response I got:

I am wondering if you are talking about the 8 Year Old or the Barrel Select as I am not showing that we make a 9 Year Old. If you do have a bottle of G_____D_____ 9 Year Old, could you please take a picture of it and respond to this email with the photo attached?

There's so much wrong with that reply, I don't know what to think of the company now.

wow.

does anyone with some actual knowledge of the company know the answer to my question?
    Last edited by 393foureyedfox; 01-13-2014 at 13:30.

Guru

Re: Customer relations......wow.......

Have you checked your bottle to make sure it doesn't say George Pickle?

Advanced Taster

I guess you have to mention Barrel Select.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guru

I mean, I can see if, say HH, who has tons of labels that it would be easy to let one slip from your memory....but when you only offer 5 different bottlings of the same mashbill? and to not even know that your own #8 is un-age stated?

what?

From the looks of what you posted, they were pretty nice about asking you to take some pictures of your bottles and send them in an email to them. Maybe instead of complaining more, you should acquiesce to their suggestion, and send some pictures of the bottles you have. It couldn't hurt. There's also a better chance that you might get an answer to your question that way. Maybe you could post some pics of your bottles here too. Perhaps after seeing some pics, it might ring a bell with someone.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    instead of complaining more, you should acquiesce to their suggestion, and send some pictures of the bottles you have. It couldn't hurt.

as if you wouldnt be similarly shocked/dismayed if a company rep told you that OF was never a BIB and they dont make anything called 'Signature".

They only release 5 variations of one distillate. To make two product description errors on two of those 5 in one sentence is pretty bad business.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    as if you wouldnt be similarly shocked/dismayed if a company rep told you that OF was never a BIB and they dont make anything called 'Signature".

They only release 5 variations of one distillate. To make two product description errors on two of those 5 in one sentence is pretty bad business.
    They also are coming out with their corn whisky, and of course they already have the rye.

Listen. Clutching your pearls, or stomping your feet is not going to get your question answered. Yeah, it's laughable that some poor customer service flunky doesn't know anything about Dickel. Here's the thing: I am 98% sure that the person who e-mailed you is a Diageo employee (or maybe even a 3rd party), not a Dickel employee. Want to know how I know? Click on "Contact Us" at Dickel and you're directed to GeorgeDickel@consumer-care.net. Okay, fine. What if I click on Contact Us over at Bulleit? Oh look, it's BulleitBourbon@consumer-care.net. How about Crown Royal? You guessed it, CrownRoyal@consumer-care.net? Johnnie Walker? Guinness? Yup, just fill in the blank.

Should the person at the other end of the line have a basic knowledge of the product? Yes. Is bitching about it here going to help? No. Is anyone besides you "shocked" or "dismayed?" I doubt it. We're talking about the world's biggest spirits company.

Next point. You're asking a question about a very limited line extension-- so limited that they don't even list it on their website. And it's a question that may not have an answer yet. Are they just trying to bleed off some excess aged stock? Are they trying to establish the single barrels as a new part of their brand? These aren't questions for the "Contact Us" person. These are questions for a Diageo insider or maybe John Lunn himself. And who knows, maybe he doesn't know either. They could be waiting to see how it does before they make a decision.

But, here is a hint. It is listed with several control states (NC, OH, VA, MI, maybe others), which means it's probably going stay around for a little while, anyway, because getting listed is a pain in the butt.

Anyway, to answer your real question ("should I be stockpiling"), the answer is, yes, if you like it and can afford it. Chances are it won't be around for ever, and even if it is, it probably won't go down in price.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post

But, here is a hint. It is listed with several control states (NC, OH, VA, MI, maybe others), which means it's probably going stay around for a little while, anyway, because getting listed is a pain in the butt.

thanks. that is more info than I got from them.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    does anyone with some actual knowledge of the company know the answer to my question?
    I'm guessing that "customer relations" is some web techie who mostly updates the website and is not associated with Sales...pretty stupid if that is the case...

Virtuoso

More likely it's a low level Diageo employee... who has to go rely on the Dickel website for his or her information. I don't think their website mentions their single barrel program (these are SBs, right?) which is very new.

And, even though Dickel is a relatively small part of the Big Diageo Machine, they're still spread across more than one location. Having worked for a multi-national for several years I can tell you that information doesn't always travel effectively.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.