Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Customer relations......wow.......

Are your bottles Dickel Barrel Select, and if so, did you specify that in your email to them?
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

At least the response remembered to say "we", instead of they. "They" is a typical mistake of a spokesman for a contracted vehicle of an outsourced operation.

Guru

Eskwar, that's very kind of you........but there are still a dozen or so around here that I plan to get a few more of soon. I just wanted to know if it was a one time thing, or if they were gonna do it once a year or what. If its a one time thing, Im gonna get all i can. If its a once a year thing, Ill keep 3 or 4 on hand and restock once a year. If its a regular release, Ill keep 1 or 2 on hand and replace whenever one gets empty.

Fishbowljoe.......I didnt say Barrel Select to them, as BS is the 86 proof version and not what I have here. BS is listed on their website, but not the 9 and 14 year.

If even they can't answer my question, I guess I'll never know the answer, unless I someday run into Lunn himself.

From the looks of what you posted, they were pretty nice about asking you to take some pictures of your bottles and send them in an email to them. Maybe instead of complaining more, you should acquiesce to their suggestion, and send some pictures of the bottles you have. It couldn't hurt. There's also a better chance that you might get an answer to your question that way. Maybe you could post some pics of your bottles here too. Perhaps after seeing some pics, it might ring a bell with someone.

Trippah and Admin

Get the name of the Dickel rep from your local whiskey monger. You will get better information there.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    instead of complaining more, you should acquiesce to their suggestion, and send some pictures of the bottles you have. It couldn't hurt.

as if you wouldnt be similarly shocked/dismayed if a company rep told you that OF was never a BIB and they dont make anything called 'Signature".

They only release 5 variations of one distillate. To make two product description errors on two of those 5 in one sentence is pretty bad business.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    as if you wouldnt be similarly shocked/dismayed if a company rep told you that OF was never a BIB and they dont make anything called 'Signature".

They only release 5 variations of one distillate. To make two product description errors on two of those 5 in one sentence is pretty bad business.
    They also are coming out with their corn whisky, and of course they already have the rye.

Listen. Clutching your pearls, or stomping your feet is not going to get your question answered. Yeah, it's laughable that some poor customer service flunky doesn't know anything about Dickel. Here's the thing: I am 98% sure that the person who e-mailed you is a Diageo employee (or maybe even a 3rd party), not a Dickel employee. Want to know how I know? Click on "Contact Us" at Dickel and you're directed to GeorgeDickel@consumer-care.net. Okay, fine. What if I click on Contact Us over at Bulleit? Oh look, it's BulleitBourbon@consumer-care.net. How about Crown Royal? You guessed it, CrownRoyal@consumer-care.net? Johnnie Walker? Guinness? Yup, just fill in the blank.

Should the person at the other end of the line have a basic knowledge of the product? Yes. Is bitching about it here going to help? No. Is anyone besides you "shocked" or "dismayed?" I doubt it. We're talking about the world's biggest spirits company.

Next point. You're asking a question about a very limited line extension-- so limited that they don't even list it on their website. And it's a question that may not have an answer yet. Are they just trying to bleed off some excess aged stock? Are they trying to establish the single barrels as a new part of their brand? These aren't questions for the "Contact Us" person. These are questions for a Diageo insider or maybe John Lunn himself. And who knows, maybe he doesn't know either. They could be waiting to see how it does before they make a decision.

But, here is a hint. It is listed with several control states (NC, OH, VA, MI, maybe others), which means it's probably going stay around for a little while, anyway, because getting listed is a pain in the butt.

Anyway, to answer your real question ("should I be stockpiling"), the answer is, yes, if you like it and can afford it. Chances are it won't be around for ever, and even if it is, it probably won't go down in price.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post

But, here is a hint. It is listed with several control states (NC, OH, VA, MI, maybe others), which means it's probably going stay around for a little while, anyway, because getting listed is a pain in the butt.

thanks. that is more info than I got from them.

Okay, I did a little research. Here's the information you are so desperately seeking Doug. I am speaking only of the 14 year old Dickel, but I am under the impression that the same probably holds true for the 9 year old.

First off, the 14 year old is a limited edition offering. Hence, the reason it didn't show up on their website. There are no specifics as to whether or not more of these might be available in the future. Time will tell. Maybe…………?

Dickle hand selected forty barrels to be bottled for this limited edition offering. Distribution throughout the country. I'm not sure as to any specific state allocations. My understanding is that samples were sent to those that expressed an interest in these limited edition barrels. If you wanted any, you had to purchase a whole barrel. So for all intensive purposes, these bottlings basically amounted to private barrel selections. Again, probably why they didn't show up on their website, and more than likely why the poor customer service folks have no clue as to what's going on.

So, there you have it. I hope that answers your questions.

Joe

Guru

Thanks, Joe. That's kinda what I expected, but hoped wasn't true. Guess I will have to start a bunker.....