Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Hunting in control states?

On a little vacation with the wife on the western nc/sc border. Stopped a few places so far, not really expecting to find anything interesting but that's part of the fun, right?

So far I've got a few bottles of OWA, just NAS stuff, but it's been tough to find in atlanta lately so I'm happy.

Larger question, is it worth doing many stops in controlled states and specifically in NC/SC, or do they pretty much have fixed inventory and send back what doesn't get sold or some other system?

And fun question, anyone want to recommend a good shop in the Asheville/Hendersonville area where I might luck into something interesting (and at this point weller 12 count as interesting!)? I assume not but never hurts to ask

Re: Hunting in control states?

dustys are rare in control states. if ya go to middle or larger size stores, you might some interesting surprises in current offerings.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I find control states to sometimes have some very good pricing on some selected items, at times, on some decent bourbons. Pricing on these are well below ATL pricing if available while you're there. It is also worth your time to seek out the Virgin 101 7Yr while there. I am pretty sure NC is one of the few states (all control states AFAIK) that carry it.. Super nice whiskey for a cheap price.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

TWO QUESTIONS.......

One, are there any store selected barrels or anything individual like that in control states, or is it just the mainstream stuff?

Two, Ive never seen a Virgin 101. Is it a NDP and similar in nature to Ezra 7/101? Or is it distributed by HH and is pretty much like HH 6 year with an extra year on it?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    TWO QUESTIONS.......

One, are there any store selected barrels or anything individual like that in control states, or is it just the mainstream stuff?

Two, Ive never seen a Virgin 101. Is it a NDP and similar in nature to Ezra 7/101? Or is it distributed by HH and is pretty much like HH 6 year with an extra year on it?
    Depends on the control state. I have seen one private BT here in Utah, and I have seen evidence of a private Jack Single Barrel as well. That's it. In Michigan, for example, the private retailers can select barrels.

Virgin 101 is a Heaven Hill product.
    Jim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Virgin 101 is a Heaven Hill product.

had I known that that was in NC, Id have stopped in the ABC we passed multiple times while in Asheville last month and picked one up. I'll have to remember that for next time. She had plenty of wine with her, and I had my bottle of Dickel 9, so we never stopped at any liquor stores. live n learn

Guru

MI is a control state and among others, I'v had my hunting successes.

Guru

It's been several years since I've lived in a control state, but I would think you could have some lucky finds. I guess it all depends on the state and county you are in. In Alabama some counties that were completely dry are now wet. I would bet there are no dusties there at all. On the other hand there are other counties that have been wet for several decades and have a combination of ABC and privately owned stores. I would be very surprised if you couldn't pull a few dusties out of some of those small private stores.

Edit: You may have better luck if you could find out the local history of liquor in the areas you plan to hunt.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 01-20-2014 at 17:10.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

My dad and I did a bit of dusty hunting in Michigan and were pleased to find some dusty handles of OF 86 (DSP 414), as well as some older WT ("No 8" brand, NAS). Both OF handles were in the same store, who actually gave us a price break to get rid of them (despite that being possibly illegal because of pricing limits, not that I would argue with him!) I hit twice as many stores in Georgia finding nothing with more than 7-8 yrs of dust on them. So I wouldn't rule out control states all together.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Trippah and Admin

Not all control states are created equal.

You can find dusties in Michigan because the state is the wholesaler and sets the minimum price as long as the product remains on the state list. Liquor on the shelves belongs to the store (like in non-control states) and once the item is de-listed, the owner no longer has a minimum price to deal with.

Ohio is dusty free because the state is the wholesaler, they set the retail price and they own every drop of liquor on store shelves in the state. Store owners sell the liquor on a consignment basis and do not own the inventory. When the state de-lists an item, they recall it from the stores. The only price variation you will see for an item in Ohio is due to different tax rates from county to county.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?