Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Hirsch Selection (13year)

I was in a whiskey bar this weekend (FX McRory's, Seattle) to enjoy their most-amazing bourbon selection (well over 100 brands). I noticed a bottle of "Hirsch Selection", Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.... bottled in Lawrenceburg. I'm assuming that it's four roses bourbon. Anyone know the history of why this has a "Hirsch" name attached to it? (not A.H.Hirsch). Thanks

Guru

Re: Hirsch Selection (13year rye)

I am pretty sure the bottle you are speaking of Dave is a 13 yo Rye whiskey. I may be wrong but I think Julian did the bottling of it. There is also a Hirsch Selection Canadian Whiskey available but I forget its age right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast

Re: Hirsch Selection (13year)

Hey, I was at a whiskey bar, so consequently my eyesight may not have been in fine working order! But I think you're right, it must have been a rye. But why the Hirsch branding if it was distilled in KY?

Guru

I may not be totally correct on this so please anyone, correct me if I am wrong. I think Julian previously owned the rights (or something) to the Hirsch name a few years ago and he bottled this whiskey from stock he had purchased from somewhere else.

Guru

Mark,

I think you are correct. See here .

IIRC, someone (perhaps even Julian, himself) said that the Hirsch rye was from stock that didn't quite measure up to the VWFR 13 year rye profile.

I have a bottle of the Hirsch, and I'm hard pressed (with my tin palate) to tell the difference.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Enthusiast

Mark and Dave,

I am totally unfamiliar with this bottling guys. What can you share with us regarding this bottling? With the Hirsch and Van Winkle names associated with it, I would have to assume that it would be a winner. Is it?

Bob

The Boss

Dave,

In Spring 2002, I had a conversation with Julian during which he told me that it was the same stock. He said that when he was done filling his bottles, the remainder got a Hirsch label slapped on them.

It's a superb product in any event.

Guru

Jim,

That rings a bell. Perhaps you posted an account of that conversation and my memory of that post was inaccurate. (I just tried to find the post, but I was unsuccessful.)

Upon further reflection, the words I think I recall were more like, "...after I bottle the VWFR, what's left is bottled as Hirsch Selection..." I probably mistakenly inferred that "left" implied "leftover", with its somewhat negative connotation.

In any case, your reiteration is consistent with my inability to distinguish any difference between the two bottlings. Superb products, indeed; I think I'll have some right now. )

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

I did a quick search Dave and think I found the posts you may have been looking for here and here... Though the first 'here' is what I think you were more looking for.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I probably mistakenly inferred that "left" implied "leftover", with its somewhat negative connotation.

I don't know how it is done now, Dave, but there used to be some complicated rules that applied to bottling. The jest of the old days of doing it, A certian number of cases was to be bottled. If they ran out of whiskey with say a very small number of bottles to be filled a barrel was dumped the bottles filled and the remainer discarded. Same thing if the number was met and whiskey was left over it too got tossed.

<font color="green"> Good God Give Carol Kaye Some </font>